AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Partial phrase match in a broad match keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am looking for some official AdWords documentation on how quotes are treated within a broad match keyword.

For example in adwords online, if you try to add keyword "penny auction" website, it tells you "invalid keyword format", but if you enter cheap "penny auction", everything seems ok, but I am not sure how it will match.

If anyone has experience with that or even some Adwords doc about that, that would be great,

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Partial phrase match in a broad match keyword

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Eustache,

First of all, the query seems a bit contrived or factitious because though the topic seems logical I do not think any one could avail of any answer. However, it may be rooted in pure curiosity as well, of course.

The keyword "penny auction" website starts with a speech mark for which reason the algorithm assumes it is phrase match and refuses to accept it because it continues posterior to the second mark.

The other keyword cheap "penny auction" is assumed by the same algorithm to be broad match and the quotes being part of it.

The algorithm of course could have been created in another way also, but now it works as described above. I do no think the above is documented by Google on any help page because the issue is not very practical.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It's going to ignore the quotes, and treat the whole keyword as broad match.

You just can't combine broad- and phrase-match like that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's what I thought, thanks for the answer, do you know that by experience or is it described somewhere ?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Eustache F

yes, you cannot mix phrase and broad like that, though I certainly wish you could.

However, you can mix broad and broad match modified.  Not quite the same thing, but in the ballpark.  For example, you could do +penny +auction website or cheap +penny +auction.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
From the experience of troubleshooting many, many accounts where advertisers complained keywords weren't doing what they expected them to do.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Eustache,

First of all, the query seems a bit contrived or factitious because though the topic seems logical I do not think any one could avail of any answer. However, it may be rooted in pure curiosity as well, of course.

The keyword "penny auction" website starts with a speech mark for which reason the algorithm assumes it is phrase match and refuses to accept it because it continues posterior to the second mark.

The other keyword cheap "penny auction" is assumed by the same algorithm to be broad match and the quotes being part of it.

The algorithm of course could have been created in another way also, but now it works as described above. I do no think the above is documented by Google on any help page because the issue is not very practical.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Lakatos, indeed those keywords are mostly rooted in curiosity.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

A side note: regardless of the discussion about match types (which has its own significance) the specific keywords in the example  given are restricted by content / subject. They refer to "penny auction"

>>"Because a consumer advisory has been issued about penny auctions, AdWords will only show penny auction ads if the phrase "penny auction" (or similar terms) are included in the user's query. On the Google Display Network, these ads will be shown only on sites related to auctions.

Hence Google restricts penny auction terms allowed as keywords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’