Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Part 2: How To Meet Your Business Goals Using Google AdWords

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

In the last installment we talked about basic business goals — creating a target audience and identifying what you want your campaign to achieve. We'll continue this series by giving you five things you need to get started with AdWords. Armed with your goals, lets dive in!

Meet Sally.

Sally owns the e-commerce business ExampleWeddingShoes.com. Unlike Tom’s brick and mortar pizza parlor, Sally conducts all of her business online by selling wedding shoes for trendy brides. Sally has followed the goal creation formula to the letter and can’t wait to create her ad but her goals are slightly different than Tom’s goals. Sally wants to increase online sales to 5 per week on ExampleWeddingShoes.com by March 31, 2014 using a $300 a month budget. She believes that her user-friendly website and a variety of stylish products will increase conversions on her site. So what should Sally do?    

Select your Keywords and Match Types

Your keywords are one of the most important aspects of your search campaigns. Selecting the right keywords is critical to a profitable search campaign. When thinking about selecting your keywords, here are some unique thoughts to keep in mind:

1. A description of your product that people are searching for (ex: red stiletto)

2. What problem your product or service solves (ex: tax help)

3. Using Google Trends

4. Asking your customers or users how they found you

5. Google Webmaster Tools’ Search Query Data 

6. Keyword Planner

Using the Keyword Planner

The Keyword Planner will enable you and Sally to find new keywords and ad group ideas. It gives you performance estimates, helps you find the bids and budgets that are right for you and allows for a seamless transfer into your Google AdWords campaign.

In thinking about where to start, Sally grabs her Target Audience Profile.  Using her profile, she starts to create and test some keywords.

Keyword

Targeting

Result

Price

Wedding Shoes

City of Los Angeles

1,300 monthly searches

$1.04

Blue Wedding Shoes

United States

6,600 monthly searches

$.69

Compare your “plan” to the goals that you created. Are the keywords that you selected going to provide enough clicks for you to reach your goal? Can you afford to target those keywords using your allocated budget?

Keyword Planner Instructions

1. Click Search for new keyword and ad group ideas to expand the search section.

2. Enter one or more of the following in the boxes that appear:

• Words or phrases that describe what you're advertising.

• The URL of a page on your website or your entire website.

• A category relevant to your product or service.

• Tip: To filter larger sets of ideas, enter both a word and website URL.

3. Click Get ideas.

4. Review your keywords from the Ad group ideas tab (which you'll see by default) or the Keyword ideas tab.

5. Click the double arrows » to add an ad group or keyword idea to your plan. You can use the historical statistics that appear in the table to help you decide which ad groups or keywords to add to your plan.

6. When you're done building your plan, click Get estimates and review plan. You'll see a graph with a range of maximum cost-per-click (max CPC) bids and daily traffic estimates.

Keyword Match types

Keyword match types help control which searches can trigger your ad. For example, you could use broad match to show your ad to a wide audience or you could use exact match to hone in on specific groups of customers.

In general, the broader the keyword matching option, the more traffic potential that keyword has. Conversely, the narrower the keyword matching option, the more relevant that keyword will be to someone's search.

Understanding these differences can help you in choosing the right keyword matching options and improve your return on investment.

1. Broad match - allows your ad to show for searches on similar phrases and relevant variations.

• Example: shoes

• Searches that can match: shoes, heel shoes, buy shoes

1. Broad match modifier - allows your ad to show for searches that include your broad match keyword or close variations of your broad match keyword.

• Example: +custom +shoes

• Searches that can match: custom shoes, how to make custom shoes, best custom shoes to buy

1. Phrase match - allows your ad to show only for searches that include the exact phrase, or close variations of that exact phrase, with additional words before or after.

• Example: "buy custom shoes"

• Searches that can match: buy custom shoes, by custom shoes, how to buy custom shoes

1. Exact match - allows your ad to show only for searches that use that exact phrase, or close variations of that exact phrase, and no other words.

• Example: [buy custom shoes]

• Search that can match: buy custom shoes

1. Negative match - ensures that your ad doesn't show for any search that includes that term.

• Example: -free

• Searches that won't match: free custom shoes, free shoe calendars, who wants some free shoes

Writing your Ad

Sally has gone through the research. She settles on 2 keywords for now.

Keywords: Bridal Shoes

White Wedding Shoes

Testing your keyword choices is important, so know you can always go back and refine your selection.

When it comes to writing your ad text you want to ask these questions:

Question 1: What do I have to offer?

List the products and services you want to promote.

What to ask yourself

Possible answers

What does my business offer?

White Wedding Shoes

Bridal Shoes

Bridesmaid Shoes

What are my key selling points?

Summer Wedding

Affordable, stylish shoes

Large selection

What makes me stand out from other businesses?

Easy to search interface

Friendly, helpful customer services

Custom shoe program

Question 2: What do I want to accomplish?

Use your goals to figure out what you want to accomplish with your ads.

What to ask yourself

Possible answers

What action would I like my customers to take?

Find their perfect shoe

Visit store

Purchase shoes online

When should my customers take action?

End of May (for a limited-time offer or discount)

Year-round

How do I want customers to feel about my offerings?

Affordable

Stylish

Comfortable

Question 3: Who are my customers?

Armed with your Target Audience Profile, continue to identify who your customer is and write ads tailored to that person.

Customers care about what you can do for them and why you deserve to earn their business. What are their pain points? How can you solve their problem? How can you do it quickly, easily and better than the next person? Customers are going to buy what they need. The question is: Why should they buy from you?

Sally’s Ads:

Bridal Shoes at ExampleWeddingShoes.com-Huge Selection of Bridal Shoes

ExampleWeddingShoes.com

✭✭✭✭✭ 1,938 Reviews on ExampleWeddingShoes.com

Perfect Fit for Your Dream Wedding.

ExampleWeddingShoes.com has 2,469 followers on Google+

25% Off With Code PERFECTSHOE

White Wedding Shoes - ExampleWeddingShoes.com

ExampleWeddingShoes.com

✭✭✭✭✭ 1,938 Reviews on ExampleWeddingShoes.com

Big Savings on WhiteWedding Shoes

ExampleWeddingShoes.com has 2,469 followers on Google+

25% Off With Code PERFECTSHOE

Now that Sally knows:

• How to choose keywords

• How to write ads

In our next installment, you will meet Bill. You and Bill will learn,

• Organizing your campaign into ad groups

• All about landing pages

• Creating an optimized sales funnel

• Tracking and reporting

Community Support:

Need ideas? Need copywriting help? Leave your comments below and share your successful ads and get ideas from others.

Additional Resources:

Need more advanced material? Check out:

• AdWords Writing Tips: Ads That Attract Customers - Click Here
  • How to use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool - Click Here
  • Top Tips for Improving Performance - Click Here

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Part 2: How To Meet Your Business Goals Using Google AdWords

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
HI Shanea,

Thanks for another good example on how to setup a good foundation for an AdWords campaign! I can't wait for the next installment.

Re: Part 2: How To Meet Your Business Goals Using Google AdWords

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Thanks so much JP for the feedback. The next installment is here:

Part 3: How To Meet Your Business Goals Using Google AdWords.