AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Overlapping campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to target psychiatrist and child psychiatrist.  I care more about child psychiatrist, so I made a campaign for child psychiatrist keywords with a high daily budget (and low cpc since it's specialized).  Psychiatrist requires a substantially higher cpc, and I don't want it eating my budget for the child psychiatrist clicks.  So I plan to open a separate campaign for it.

Is it possible to deal with this budget issue without opening separate campaigns?

If someone searches for child psychiatrist, will they see two of my ads?  If not I'm assuming they'll see the child psychiatrist campaign ad, correct?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bryan M
September 2015

Re: Overlapping campaigns

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
You can have two campaigns with a SHARED budget.
The Child Psy Campaign should have fairly tight keywords so as to avoid triggering non-child search terms. This should be low cost and very targeted. Sitelinks and other extensions should also be Child focused.
The Regular Psy Campaign should have NEGATIVE keywords, like child, children, kid, kids, pediatric and other variants. This way you will have a very nice split, with no budget worries and excellent control.
I hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Brayan,

The best option in this situation is, as you suggested - create two campaigns, one for 'child psychiatrist' related keywords and one with generic 'Psychiatrist' keywords.

There are few benefits here.

1. You can precisely control budget for each campaign and measure results separately.

2. Use the words like 'child', 'children', 'boy', 'girl' as campaign level negative keywords in the generic 'Psychiatrist' campaign. This will make sure when some one uses a keyword like 'child psychiatrist', the ad from 'child psychiatrist' campaign will be displayed.

You can learn more about negative keywords here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

3.As you have two specific campaign for different themes (child, general) you can create specific/generic ad copies for each campaign. And the negative keywords will ensure proper/correct ad display.

Only one ad from your account will be displayed at a time.

You can also use shared budget for your campaigns. Find more information about shared budget here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2517512?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
You can have two campaigns with a SHARED budget.
The Child Psy Campaign should have fairly tight keywords so as to avoid triggering non-child search terms. This should be low cost and very targeted. Sitelinks and other extensions should also be Child focused.
The Regular Psy Campaign should have NEGATIVE keywords, like child, children, kid, kids, pediatric and other variants. This way you will have a very nice split, with no budget worries and excellent control.
I hope this helps

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,

Can you go for psychologist, psychotherapist instead Psychiatrist? As Psychiatrist requires a substantially higher cpc.

Just a small suggestion. hope that help

Thanks,
Kaushik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, so I'll do separate campaigns with separate budgets and use negative keywords in the generalized campaign. Out of curiosity, if I didn't use the negative keywords, would both ads have possibly been displayed simultaneously?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Brayan,

The best option in this situation is, as you suggested - create two campaigns, one for 'child psychiatrist' related keywords and one with generic 'Psychiatrist' keywords.

There are few benefits here.

1. You can precisely control budget for each campaign and measure results separately.

2. Use the words like 'child', 'children', 'boy', 'girl' as campaign level negative keywords in the generic 'Psychiatrist' campaign. This will make sure when some one uses a keyword like 'child psychiatrist', the ad from 'child psychiatrist' campaign will be displayed.

You can learn more about negative keywords here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

3.As you have two specific campaign for different themes (child, general) you can create specific/generic ad copies for each campaign. And the negative keywords will ensure proper/correct ad display.

Only one ad from your account will be displayed at a time.

You can also use shared budget for your campaigns. Find more information about shared budget here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2517512?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Bryan M,

Welcome to the forum,

Based on your query i am assuming that your keywords are in broad match.In that case if someone searches which matches more than one keywords in your account then only one keyword will win the auction & only one ad will appear.Sometimes the most restricted match type win the auction or sometimes the keyword with highest Ad rank wins.

here are some suggestion for you:\
1.Create two adgroups for "Psychiatrist" and "Child psychiatrist"
2.In the "Child Psychiatrist" adgroup add keywords in Exact or Phrase or in BMM (Ex: [child psychiatrist]/"child psychiatrist"/ +child +psychiatrist.) So that if anyone searches for child psychiatrist only able to see the ads.
3. Increase your bid for "child psychiatrist" and also continue checking the "Search Imp share" column.This column will show you how much imp you are missing due to budget or adrank
4. In the first Adgroup reduce the bid for "Psychiatrist".and also add child in the negative keyword

You can give these a try otherwise you always have the option to create separate campaign.

Hope this help...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Bryan,

Only one keyword can trigger an ad per search term from your account. when multiple keywords in your account match a search at the same time the AdWords system uses a set of preferences to determine which of your keywords to use.

Find more information about those preferences here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Be careful using shared budgets where one of the search terms is really popular and the other - which interests you more - is more niche. It is easy for the more general campaign to be greedy and eat up all the budget before the smaller campaign even wakes up....

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Shared Budget is a good way to start, if you are concerned about potential
spend. But once the data starts coming in, then clearly you can look and
decide how to allocate the budget.