AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Organizing all of these keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have about 450 keywords for a client. Today I began reogranizing the adgroups...and it sucks! Are there no tools for this? Doing it manually with excel seems like it is going to take forever. I have found textop.us and it is great for cleaning up dupes, and filtering, but is that it? 

How do you guys do it? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Organizing all of these keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi oneano, I think the tool you could be looking for is the Adwords Editor.  This'll allow you to download all account details to an offline interface and does include some features that make it a lot easier to manage larger accounts/campaigns.  It's free (of course) and well worth a look:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Simply put, you can "play" with your campaign to your heart's content, then just upload the changes in one click once you're happy.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello.

Put your big keywords list in the first column of an Excel table. Then take your category "splitters" (bone, ankle, whatever), and put them in a row, next to your keywords.

For instance, you'd have the first column as:

Keyword (column header)

bone something

ankle something else

etc.

The first line, next to keyword, will continue with bone (B1), ankle (B2 C1), and so on.

You'd have a table with 450 rows and n+1 columns. For each splitter cell, you'll have to search for the column header in the keywords column and the corresponding row.

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND($B$1,A2,1)),1,0) and so on for the first column

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND($C$1,A2,1)),1,0) and so on for the second column

Etc.

This will produce a table with 1 in each cell which has its column header found in its corresponding row, and a 0 where it is not present.

The rest is filtering. There is, of course, plan B, which involves databases & a bit of programming, in case automation is what you're after. Put keywords in a table, splitters in another table, and generate, for each splitter, its ad group and keywords.

Good luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor

And here's your Google Spreadsheets implementation, should you need it: http://bit.ly/xaPtbF

Now, instead of 1 and 0 it puts the keyword it found in the splitter word column, and nothing if not found. This way you can select each column and you'll have the splitter on top and all keywords beneath it, plus some empty columns rows, which should be easily trimmable.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi oneano, I think the tool you could be looking for is the Adwords Editor.  This'll allow you to download all account details to an offline interface and does include some features that make it a lot easier to manage larger accounts/campaigns.  It's free (of course) and well worth a look:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Simply put, you can "play" with your campaign to your heart's content, then just upload the changes in one click once you're happy.

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again Cobnut, 

I always think that the desktop editor should do the types of things that I want to do, but it doesnt. Or it isnt intuitive if it does. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi oneano, can you explain exactly what it is you want it to do, that it doesn't?

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Since these adgroups are not organized well, I have exported everything as one big list of 450 keywords. Cleaned up and purged of dupes, I have around 350 keywords left. I would like to filter the list by a single term such as "bone" so every phrase that has bone can be moved into its own ad group. Then move from biggest to smallest, then start over again to refine the process, then do a thrid time to be sure that the adgroups are as specific as possible. 

Right now, Im doing it in excel. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Isnt that how you organize your ad groups? 

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 7
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi oneano,

The best tool to do so - as Jon suggested already - is the Adwords Editor. You can also upload CSV file into Editor, make changes (if needed) and then upload it back to your account. 

You can read more on How do I import a CSV file in AdWords Editor here

Zee 

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I find it quite easy to do exactly that with Excel 2007 or 2010, as follows:

Remove duplicates - under the data tab there is a button for "remove duplicates"

Filter for a word - use filter for the column for the word you want in the list (use custom filter for combinations of filtering. Example, "contains: bones" and "contains: leg" - so you are left with all the leg bone keywords.)

- once this list is filtered use ctrl+x (cut) to remove them from the list and paste them in another sheet

I am not sure if these were obvious to you but I have other specific tricks if you have specific questions let me know.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Im thinking that someone has macros for excel they have created that they use. Right now, Im just doing the highest level stuff, I have a medical client, bone, knee, foot, ankle, I have tons of these words just stuffed into various ad groups. Yes, I want to sort those higher level terms and break them down, I will have to see what I can whip up in excel. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello.

Put your big keywords list in the first column of an Excel table. Then take your category "splitters" (bone, ankle, whatever), and put them in a row, next to your keywords.

For instance, you'd have the first column as:

Keyword (column header)

bone something

ankle something else

etc.

The first line, next to keyword, will continue with bone (B1), ankle (B2 C1), and so on.

You'd have a table with 450 rows and n+1 columns. For each splitter cell, you'll have to search for the column header in the keywords column and the corresponding row.

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND($B$1,A2,1)),1,0) and so on for the first column

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND($C$1,A2,1)),1,0) and so on for the second column

Etc.

This will produce a table with 1 in each cell which has its column header found in its corresponding row, and a 0 where it is not present.

The rest is filtering. There is, of course, plan B, which involves databases & a bit of programming, in case automation is what you're after. Put keywords in a table, splitters in another table, and generate, for each splitter, its ad group and keywords.

Good luck!