3.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Optimising a paused ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have paused my one and only ad, because there are only clicks for the ad from windows users when I am advertising Macintosh only software.

I'd like to be able to get information displayed about issues to do with keywords whilst the ad campaign is paused. But this seems impossible. All I can see for all my keywords is campaign paused. Is there way to access the information that was previously shown whilst the campaign is paused?

Kevin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Optimising a paused ad

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sheffield,

If you running a display campaign, you have the option to target specific operating systems or negating the same from a particular campaign unless you running a search campaign.

Regards
Rohit Khanna

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What do you mean by a display campaign? My ad is google adwords? Can I do targeting as you describe or is that not possible with adwords. Thanks. Kevin

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

So Adwords offers 2 types of targeting:

1) Search Network - Use of keywords that people might search and show your text ads
2) Display Network - Use of certain targeting options inclusive of keywords, interests, topics etc, via which you can show your text, image ads to users on Websites that fall under the Google network.

Hence the targeting setting is available in the Display part of Adwords.
Refer to the below link for more clarification:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?vid=1-635779172685217627-1181071647&rd=1

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really wish google wouldn't provide their documentation in video form. I just watched the 4 minutes video in that link and it didn't provide any answers to the questions I have, which if it was text I could have found by searching in 10 seconds.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin,

What kind of information are you looking for? Past performance is available by setting an appropriate date range. The bubble tool will only tell you that keyword does not trigger an ad because the campaign is paused. Same for the Keyword Preview Tool. The bid simulator will not be available, either.

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I started my first ad yesterday so at that time I had no data to fall back. What I quickly noticed from my website stats was that I was getting a lot of clicks from windows users and no clicks from users on macintosh for a macintosh program. I therefore paused the ad campaign. But prior to pausing I noticed that nearly all the keywords had issues. Poor quality, rarely searched for etc. But you lost all that useful info as soon as the ad was paused.

For me starting google adwords this was a really poor user experience.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin,

That data is all still available. First, make sure you have selected a date range for which the campaign was active. Then, if you are on the campaign tab, select "All" instead of "Active". If you're on the ads tab, do something similar. The default settings only show your active campaigns, ads, and keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords