AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Open Discussion- What's the best way for ads? &, +, and or all 3?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I'm currently revamping some of my ads and would like to request some input.

When creating ads, (display and regular) what's the best practice to wording in these situations and are there any possitive or negative effects (other than generic black and white will return unwanted clicks)  of listing the same as actual keywords?

Example 1

black + white

black and white

black & white

B & W

B + W

Example 2

decor + accessories

decor and accessories

decor & accessories

(I realize that some will say to create separate ads but these 2 words kind of go together)

Any other examples are welcome. 

Thanks In Advance

RPquest

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Open Discussion- What's the best way for ads? &, +, and or all

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RPquest, you're going to hate me for this but I'm going to lead with the old favourite of "it depends".

One thing is certain - you've got to watch for brand names or normally accepted usage.  Your first example makes me think of B&W the audio hardware manufacturer (Bowers & Wilkins).  Although their website (quite deliberately IMHO) only uses their full name, the rest of the universe refers to them as "B&W" - just like that, with an ampersand, no spaces, so in this specific example it would be important to get it right.  If you used "B + W Speakers", to me it would indicate you didn't really know what you were talking about and I probably wouldn't click your Ad.

I think it also depends on the context.  If your Ads are aimed at techies or more tech-savvy customers I think the use of "punctuation" is more acceptable.  If the Ads are aimed at more leisurely groups it might be appropriate to use the longer form.

For me though most often it's simply about the character limits.  I'd always sacrifice an "and" for an "&" if it allowed me to use an important word (or two) that would otherwise be too long.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply and no, I don't hate you for the response of "it depends" LOL.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, comments, and thoughts you (and others) may have.

I didn't realize that "B&W" was a type of speaker (Bowers & Wilkins)...interesting...I'll have to be careful of that one.

I too have had issues in the length of the ad (especially Display ads) with the limited amount of characters allowed so I have shortened some from (B & W) to (B&W).  I'll have to see if I can change some because of the name brand.

Would you ever use "B + W" or "B+W" say for black and white TV's as an example? Which do you believe is the "preferred" or most often search term? (B+W, B + W, B&W, B & W, Black+White, Black + White, Black & White, Black and White)?? 

Thanks Again,

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

A thousand years ago, when I was a TV engineers, black and white was always referred to as B/W for TVs and the same way for colour coding on wiring (e.g. R/B, G/Bl).  I'd guess therefore that if you were aiming at engineers (i.e. people actually in the business) they'd probably use the preferred engineering term whereas consumers might use +, or & or and.

It's an interesting issue, actually, and I must thank you for it.  It's interesting because it demonstrates just how important your choice of Keyword is in targeting.  If you were targeting TV engineers - say you were a component supplier - it would be very important that your Ad conveyed an understanding of the business.  Equally if you're selling to consumers it's usually important to steer clear of jargon and look for clarity.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon,

Thanks again for your reply.

I'll have to try a combination of "+, and, &" in some of my ads to see if there is that great of a variance in results in not only impressions but obviously CTR/Conversions.

I can only wonder if Google has a preference of "+, and, or &" when serving ads....time will tell.

Thanks!

RPquest