Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

One Campaign Under Achieving

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings,

I have 3 campaigns running under one customer account... 2 of the campaigns are running nicely but the 3rd campaign (and the main keyword according to the customer) is getting very low impressions and zero clicks. Impressions are around 5 per day compared to the 400-500 per day for the other campaigns.

The keyword is Funeral Directors Sydney (Volume Search is around 600) and my Quality Score is 6/10 and 7/10 for the keywords. 

I am not sure where to start to figure out why there are not more impressions, and ultimately clicks? 

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: One Campaign Under Achieving

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Mike H

what is your impression share data saying?  Have you double checked your location settings to make sure it's correct?  Another thing worth double checking is your negative keywords to see if perhaps you have inadvertantly created a conflict there. Impression share data is not shown by default. Here is how you can add it your data columns: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@David K

My impression share data is saying nothing, it is all displaying "-". I checked my negative keywords and I have nothing in them, and my locations are set up to a specific area which is Sydney + 50 kms.

Is there a way to detect in that area how many searches have been done through Google for "Funeral Directors Sydney"? Again my customer is adamant that this is a critical search query for Sydney but I am not seeing the results to support his thoughts. Yet, I don't live in Sydney so I can't say that for sure.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
What does the keyword diagnosis say for that term? Do you see a "low search volume" warning? If no one is searching for that term, it doesn't matter how valuable the industry expert thinks that term is.

For example: Your client sells gears. They know the correct technical term for gears is gears. They think only an "idiot" would search for any term other than gears if they are looking to purchase gears. However, all the "idiots" (customers) actually search for the term widgets when they want to buy gears. The industry expert who knows better would never consider a gear to be a widget, but their customers are not industry experts. The place to "correct" your customers misunderstanding is through content on the website.

Find the search terms your customers are actually searching for (impressions). Create ad content that interests your customers enough to engage (clicks). Then land the ads on content which helps inform the customers, and convinces them to actually buy (conversions).
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@tomhalejr

I understand how it all works, and I agree with your "gears" analogy however when I do an impressions look up I get that there is an avg 590 searches per month for that keyword "Funeral Directors Sydney". So if there are that many average searches being done, then why is there no impressions... Is there a chance that the avg is way down this month, possibly? I really want to make sure that nothing is broken for the customer. I have setup 40 Google Adword Accounts, running multiple campaigns in Search/Display and I have not run across this before. I state 40 to not brag, that is relatively low, but to show that I am not completely a rookie with Adwords either.

I also have another customer from the same region that has said Funeral Directors Sydney is a primary keyword. Being from North America, it is difficult for me to substantiate that other then doing a search term query and determining the number of searches per month.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike H a couple of suggestions...

What are the other Campaigns targeting in terms of Keywords?  Is it possible they're "stealing" the searches that might otherwise have gone to the Campaign #3?  Is it simply that the bids are too low?  What's your average position?  Do you need the word "Sydney"?    You're probably missing a lot of searches that don't use this location term - I hardly ever search for things using town/city names, I might say "near me" or just put the term in.  Do you have any bid modifiers that might be adding up to a huge negative percentage?  Scheduling?  

What does Ad Preview & Diagnosis show?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My customer called Google Adwords to ask the same question, he was presented with the idea that because this particular campaign had only 3 keywords in it that that was the problem? Is this true? I have similar campaigns with other customers and they have no problems?