AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Number of keywords to include in a display campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Working with an agency to run a display campaign. I sent over my keyword suggestions for the campaign and the AE sent me the list of keywords he's using--there are 470. Isn't that bad practice? I thought Google recommended running around 10-20 keywords? He has everything from related products to competitor products.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
August 2016

Re: Number of keywords to include in a display campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there
>>"I thought Google recommended running around 10-20 keywords? "
Correct;
Keywords on the display network work collectively to create a theme to be matched with content on web pages. 8-15 keywords would do.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

There are many considerations to make when selecting keywords. There are cases where more keywords are required and cases where less are required.

In general you will be visible on a broader scale of Search queries if your keyword list is broad. Related products and Competitor products can definitely prove to be valuable. However, when you want to support a high Ad position on competitive keywords, your budget may not support a very high number of keywords.

There are reasons why your agency may be using a broad keyword list. If the agency has a proven track record in Digital Marketing, the list may be justified. I can give some examples:

1. The agency may want to start using a relatively broad keyword list and high budget attribution in the start of the campaign. The initial statistics will give a strong indication of which keywords are effective (keyword planner will not predict your conversions). After identifying the strongest keywords, the agency will concentrate on the top performing keywords and narrow the scope.

2. The scale of keywords depends on the size of the market. When you target a small country or region, your budget may support a more broad range of keywords. When you want to boost the brand awareness, the reach of the campaign is relevant.

If the agency has permitted access to your Adwords or Analytics account, you can review the keyword traffic. Keywords that are not bringing in traffic should be paused, as well as duplicates and any keywords where a page 1 rank can't be achieved.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @Niels and welcome;

I have to disagree;

We are talking here about the display network. All keywords are considered broad match.

And regardless of the strategy, for keyword targeting  dozes or hundreds of keyword is way too many. Further, when there are too many keywords,  it could complicate the  contextual targeting algorithm in determining  a common theme for those keywords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks Smiley Happy I didn't realize we were talking about a Display campaign. It makes my previous reply non-relevant.

Regarding Display, possibly the consideration of using many keywords was possibly made since several targeting methods are overlapping. For example when the agency wants to target a specific interest group or retargeting audience + keyword targeting, the impression is only made when both criteria are applied. The volumes can be quite severely affected.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Niels;

Nope;

Adding another targeting method  does not affect  keyword targeting best practices or settings.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Moshe,

Could you elaborate on that?

I am talking about the situation when "Target and Bid" is applied and both keywords targeting + another targeting method (example retargeting) are applied.

Definitely the reach is restricted, in the case of only using a handful of keywords, the restriction will be significant.

I am curious to hear your view.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Niels;
Here you are:
"Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?"
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Display-Network-How-many-Targeting-Methods-to-cho...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Moshe,

Thank you for elaborating. However, my experience differs from yours. Definitely adding more keywords managed to boost my campaign volumes (in the case of multiple targeting criteria incl. "keywords"). However, I agree when going back to the original question, 470 keywords on the Display network seems to be too much.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both for the insight. My apologies for the late reply.