AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

No competition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I'm not understanding Adwords at all.  On my screen it tell me that a first page advert will be £1 (est).  However, when I type in the keywords no adverts appear for them at all.

When I've spoken to Google Adwords team when setting up they informed me that it was a bidding process.  Which I presume would mean if no one bids this should cost less than £1 per click?

Any ideas?  

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: No competition

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Alex,

What is your ad status? Are you not able to seeing your ads through ad preview tool also.

£1 is bid for a particular keywords (Means you are willing to pay £1 for click).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

if there is no competition then the bidding should be very low! but, Google often will set a lower limit so bids are not 1 pence (for eg)

Also when did you set up this campaign as it cant take up to a day for an ad/keyword to be approved?

At the keyword level of the adwords interface you will see a column called "Status". in this column you will see speech bubbles and with "enabled", "approved", "approved limited" etc. hover over the speech bubble and it will tell you whether your ads are appearing, and if they arent, it will give you some idea as to why not.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alex B,

Estimated First page bid and top page bid is only estimation, it does not give a guarantee that your ads would appear on first page or top page, every ads have to achieve a threshold then your ads appear on the Top page and first page. Even if you set your max cpc equal to est. top page bid and there is no competitions, it does not mean your ads always appear on first page.

The first page bid estimate is a guide, meant to give you greater insight with which to plan your bidding strategy -- but meeting your first page bid estimate isn’t a guarantee of ad position. Ad position will still depend on

1.) competition from other advertisers,

2.) Target location and time, when a user perform search on google.

3.) the components of your Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience),

4.) your CPC bid,

5.) the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats,

6.) your budget and account settings, and user and advertiser behavior.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting! 

The number of ads showing on a particular keyword makes up only part of that keyword's First Page Bid. First page bid is also determined by Quality Score

You'll see in your keywords section that each keyword is assigned a quality score between 1-10. When you start a new campaign, your keywords are given the industry average quality score.  As your performance metrics build up, and if your campaign is performing above average, you'll  hopefully see your quality scores increase, and in turn your average CPCs will decrease. 

I hope this helps! 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Alex B,

Your keywords need to meet an AdRank minimum in order to show. What this indicates is that other advertisers have used this (these) keyword(s) with little success. Google would rather show no ads than show an ad that will not get clicks.

Google is willing to show your ads if you bid high on low QS keywords. (AdRank = Max CPC bid x QS). If the CTR is good, the cost will go down.

It is a mistake to assume you can get clicks cheap simply because no other ads show on the page. It is also a mistake to assume no one else uses or has used the same keyword. When no ads show on a page, it is most likely that other advertisers have tried the same keyword(s) will little or no success.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex

I am agree with Petebardo, you need to have minimum AdRank to show your ad on the search network, it doesn't guarantee that if no one is bidding on a particular keyword so first page estimate should be very low or any amount you can bid.

In simple way every auction has a minimum reserve price you have to bid equal or more than that to show your ad.

Dave Thompson