1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

No Text Ad option in the Display Network

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I just went in to add some new text ads to my display network campaign, and I can't see an option for them!

Are they replaced with Responsive Ads?

What happens to text ads and expanded text ads in the AdWords editor?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony McCreath
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Click +AD > Responsive ad. At the top of the ad creation screen, there's "Switch to expanded text ad" link. When you click that, at the top of the new screen, there's "Switch back to standard text ads" link. Yes, this is Google's not-so-subtle way to nudge you in a particular direction.

As to Editor, all three ad types are alive and well, for now. Eventual deprecation of standard text ads has been announced:

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2016/09/expanded-text-ads-more-time-to-test-and.html

I'm not aware of any specific plans to disallow expanded text ads in Display campaigns at this time, for what it's worth.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony McCreath
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Click +AD > Responsive ad. At the top of the ad creation screen, there's "Switch to expanded text ad" link. When you click that, at the top of the new screen, there's "Switch back to standard text ads" link. Yes, this is Google's not-so-subtle way to nudge you in a particular direction.

As to Editor, all three ad types are alive and well, for now. Eventual deprecation of standard text ads has been announced:

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2016/09/expanded-text-ads-more-time-to-test-and.html

I'm not aware of any specific plans to disallow expanded text ads in Display campaigns at this time, for what it's worth.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony McCreath,

Along with the excellent info provided by @AdWordsEng-Igor, we also copy and paste text ads from our other campaigns into our display campaigns with no issues. 

Just thought I would add that option. Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've decided to upgrade and start using the responsive ads. They look more enticing.