AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

No Image Ad Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up my campaigns and I am only getting 1-2 clicks daily from text ads and no impressions from the image ads. I need help on why my image ads are approved but not getting any impressions. Anyone have advice to get more clicks to my campaigns? Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: No Image Ad Impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I am referring only to a part of your question.

>> no impressions from the image ads <<

Please learn that image ads are often much more expensive than text ads. My best guess is that your bids might be too low, especially if you wish to show the image ad on popular sites.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi girlsgameplanet, image ads are a bit different from text ads as they always need to "own" an entire Adsense block to be displayed whereas text ads can appear as one of 4 or 5 others.  Google (rather unhelpfully) say that there are "multiple factors" that decide whether a text or image ad appears on a page.

Also, only sites that permit image ads will show them.  So it may be that your sites are predominantly text-only.

To answer your other questions we'd need to know a little more about your business and campaign(s).  Are you manually targeting sites, or using automatic placements?  The more you can tell us, the more we can help!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I am referring only to a part of your question.

>> no impressions from the image ads <<

Please learn that image ads are often much more expensive than text ads. My best guess is that your bids might be too low, especially if you wish to show the image ad on popular sites.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi girlsgameplanet, image ads are a bit different from text ads as they always need to "own" an entire Adsense block to be displayed whereas text ads can appear as one of 4 or 5 others.  Google (rather unhelpfully) say that there are "multiple factors" that decide whether a text or image ad appears on a page.

Also, only sites that permit image ads will show them.  So it may be that your sites are predominantly text-only.

To answer your other questions we'd need to know a little more about your business and campaign(s).  Are you manually targeting sites, or using automatic placements?  The more you can tell us, the more we can help!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi girlsgameplanet,

Looks like this has been answered pretty well for you. Just one more thing. It is usually recommended you create image ads for all sizes specified by Google. That gives you the greatest chance of getting impressions as not all sites that accept image ads accept all sizes of ads. Creating ads for all sizes means at least one size is eligible for display.

The problem I have with this is that the ads all share the same bids for placements, so a skyscraper image is bid at the same CPC as a single space image. I group the similar sizes in AdGroups so I can bid separately. Also, it is recommended to not include image ads in the same ad group with text ads, probably for the saem reason.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi girlsgameplanet,

In addition to the great responses you already had, I would like to add a small point. Although, you can have separate ad groups for your image ads, but it's generally recommended to have a separate Image ad campaign so that you can optimize that campaign separately.

As suggested above, the competiton for the image ads is higher than the text ads because of the space they occupy on the placement you are targeting. So these ads require higher bidding than the normal text ads. You also need to take care of the color combination of these ads when you target in the specific domains because that matters a lot.

I would suggest you to use the Placement targeting tool and the Google Doubleclick Ad Planner to further research the placements and get the real insight on what all domains are relevant to your business and what all size formats they require.

Just a thought!

Pankaj