Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Newbie question: Please share your Adwords campaign efficiency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It's my first post here so sorry if question was posted in wrong forum.

We are small company selling digital products at our store for last 4 years. We spent last 4 years working on our products and without any kind of advertisement. Most part of our clients found our products from Google organic search or from their friends or colleagus. Now we decided to reach bigger audience. Adwords can become additional marketing channel for us. We already created few sample campaigns with small budget and now monitoring quality of traffic.

Our main question for now is what maximum sales results we can get from Adwords. Our digital products price is from 100$ to 200$ so we have some margin to spend on customer acquisition. Right now we are getting average CPC at 3$. So it would be really nice to get something like 10% conversion for sale event but this number sounds to high for me. A lot of people on the forums are writing about 1-2% conversion rate for their campaigns and even less.

I do understand that every advertisement campaign is really different and it really depends on the niche and campaign settings. 

So i would really appreciate if somebody will share best results for their Adwords campaings.

Re: Newbie question: Please share your Adwords campaign efficiency

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
People who search for your company by name are usually the ones most likely to buy right away.

When you bid on your company name in exact match, you will probably get the best CPC and the most conversions. Be sure to have your company name in the headline of your ads. You can even try a headline like, "Toyota - Official Site."

Be on the lookout for "buying keywords" that people use when they are ready to buy, like "buy steaks online."

Most people are looking for free information. If your keywords match those queries fewer will buy.

If you want to know what maximum sales results you can get from AdWords, just try small campaigns, with an ad group for each keyword in exact match, always placing the keyword in the ad headline, using as keywords just your company name and a buying keyword. Wait until you have 1,000 clicks, if possible, before you evaluate conversion rates for visitors. Pour all of your budget into this and you will find out the fastest whether you can make AdWords work for you.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greg,

i really appreciate your response. I'm completely new to Adwords but i do understand all basic principles. Unfortunately i simply have no experience with real working campaigns. It isn't a problem for me to spend thousands of dollars with out any single sale.

First of all thank you for advice. We will try to keep away from information keywords. But our niche is quite small so for number of "buy" keywords is really tiny.

Please explain why we should bid on our name. Every our customer can find us quickly as we are #1 on 90% of our brands requests. I simply don't see sense in it.

And thank you for idea of advertisment strategy. Can you share any example of advertisement as i still don't get it how it should look like.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
It's fine there are few buying keywords. It's less expensive to test just a few.

Bid on brand name? A couple of years ago I noticed that Macy's did but Bloomingdales did not. If you do, that's an extra listing in the search results, probably more clicks, maybe more sales. People debate this a lot. Some do, some don't.

I think you should bid on your brand name for a while, just to have a benchmark. Probably you'll get a great CPC and CTR, and a low Cost Per Conversion.

Example of advertisement: You can start with just a few keywords, your brand maybe and a few buying keywords. Place each in a separate ad group and there bid in [exact match]. Place two ads in each ad group, and for each one have the keyword you are bidding on appear, as precisely as possible, in the headline of the ad. For the two lines of text, accurately describe what will happen on the landing page if the user clicks. If possible be funny.

If your site is about breast cancer, can you be funny, fun and interesting? Sure. http://www.worldwidebreastcancer.com/

For the keywords you bid on, do a search and see what other ads appear. That will give you a sense of what ads look like - what bad ads look like.

To write great ads, there's no better source of ideas than this one page: http://www.infomarketingblog.com/ogilvy-mather-direct-ad-4-how-to-create-advertising-that-sells/

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Brand is the top of the pyramid. For pennies on the dollar you will get all of the market research data available to you only through AdWords. You will always see the best results from brand campaigns, so they are always the most cost effective campaigns to test things like ad copy and landing pages. If you increase your KPI's (clicks, CPC, CTR, CPA, cost/conv, etc.) as a result of a new ad test in the brand campaign, then you can be confident that applying that ad to the rest of the account will improve overall account performance. Conversely, if an experiment fails in your brand campaign, the losses will not be as great.

If you are small enough that your brand currently has too low of search volume to even allow an ad to show for your brand terms, then that can be a benchmark for improving overall brand awareness. The only way to get that information is through the AdWords interface. The costs are so infinitesimally small in comparison to your acceptable CPA, and the returns so great, protecting your brand makes you money.

If you are large enough that you could spend thousands on search networks for your brand name alone - Then decide how many thousands of dollars you would be willing to spend in order to experiment with AdWords. Take that total number, and divide by 90. 90 days of a set experimental budget for what should be your best attempt at a profitable campaign, is a minimum time requirement. If you immediately see returns at an acceptable CPA, then you can allocate more budget under whatever terms work for you. Focus on your ad content and landing pages. You don't have a huge KW list with multiple products, so you don't have to worry about that huge structure affecting your experiment. Fewer variables means more actionable data is available sooner. If you know DVD players are your top selling products, then focus on DVD players in the ad copy, and land on the main DVD page. Now, does that specific ad out-perform your generic control ad landing on the homepage?

When it comes to ad content, there are five basic principles to consider:

Price
Quality
Availability
Service
Experience

Pick two, and use each principle as it's own line of ad text. For example "Thousands of Products Available!", "Price Match Guarantee!", etc. Now you have your ad text, and you can begin experimenting with just changing the headlines and landing pages. Once you find the best ad, use that as your control. You should always be testing ad content, but it's not a test without a control. Smiley Happy

Do you have ecommerce setup and reporting accurately through Google analytics?
Are AdWords and analytics linked, with auto tagging enabled, and is the google/cpc data reporting accurately?
Tom