AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Newbie Here with a massive account, please help!!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Guys,

I am new to AdWords and I have to manage a massive account with loads of keywords, ads, adgroups and whatever you can think of.

The account has been left on its own for long time and needs optimization.

Here some issues:

- 75% of the keywords within the AdGroups aren't performing at all.

- Low CTR overall

- Low conversion rate

- The Account is a right mess

- Tracking system isn't set and I can't evaluate if we are actually making money on our ads

- There more than 6 Ads for each adgroup

Any tips would be really appreciated because I am a bit struggling in finding the hang of it.

Many thanks

Oscar

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Newbie Here with a massive account, please help!!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI Oscar,

I understand your pain and believe me all of us have gone through this at some point in time. I always treat this kind of account as a great learning experience and my first suggestion to you is to treat it the same, that way you will enjoy your work and enjoy the improvement in results too.

Here are some questions

• When you say " Tracking system isn't set" , how are you calculating 75% non performing keywords? And also "

Low conversion rate?

• Low CTR overall: Can you group keywords which are giving CTR in the good, the bad & the ugly (bit of a cliche, isnt it? Smiley Happy)

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Oscar,

@PremioOscar wrote:

Here some issues:

- 75% of the keywords within the AdGroups aren't performing at all.

- Low CTR overall

- Low conversion rate

- The Account is a right mess

- Tracking system isn't set and I can't evaluate if we are actually making money on our ads

- There more than 6 Ads for each adgroup

Any tips would be really appreciated because I am a bit struggling in finding the hang of it.

Many thanks

Oscar

If 75% of the keywords are not performing, then you need to analyse what type of search queries have been coming aroung those keywords. Idenitfy the relevant and irrelevant queries and make a note of the negative terms which could be shortlisted on the basis of this. Then include the negatives at ad group/ campaign level in order to streamline the traffic flow. Similarly at the same time, there is a need to identify the relevant search queries and if possible adding them as keywords inside your account.

Look at the match type keywords and see if there has been excessive usage of Broad match type keywords. If yes, then shift towards phrase, exact or braod modifiers depending upon how much your client want to spend.

I am not sure what you mean here by tracking system, but if it is in context with Conversion Tracking, then you should go ahead and install the conversion tracking script on goal conversion pages which could be thanks page or check out success page page in case of a product.

Low CTR could be if Search and Display Network are running combined in a single campaign. As per the best practices, they should be separated out.

Read this article for more insights: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722119?hl=en&ref_topic=1713897

I hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Oscar, at the risk of being insulting, if the Account is that large, complex and in a mess, are you sure it's appropriate that you try to work on it with very little experience?  Mistakes can be very costly with AdWords and it might be a much better decision to hire professional help - at least to get the account into shape, after which you can take over and learn in a much more pleasant environment...

Having said that, my priorities from your list would be:

1. Sort out the tracking.  This really is my #1 as without this you can never truly evaluate performance.  This has to be the first thing you sort out as you need to know where you are now in terms of ROI (Return on Investment) and you need to be able to monitor this through every change you make.  Depending upon your exact situation, sorting basic conversion tracking could take a matter of minutes so it doesn't have to overly delay any other fixes.

2. Would probably be to pause Keywords that aren't performing.  Make sure you're looking at a decent time period before you make this decision and make sure you're measuring the right metrics to evalutate "performance" but pausing/deleting "bad" Keywords is a good place to start.

3. I'd then look at CTR.  Sorting out the Keywords will help with this as if you dump the poor ones your average CTR will increase anyway.  Look at your Ads - poor CTR is usually either because your Ads don't appear relevant to the Keyword or because they aren't appealing (or both).  Make sure your Ad Groups are tightly focused; Ad Groups should be themed to one specific aspect of the business.  If you sell cameras your Ad Groups should be taken right down to the make and model, not just "DSLR" or "Bridge", etc.

4. Conversion rates should improve with the changes above but bear in mind a lot of problems with conversions come from the website not necessarily the AdWords Account.  AdWords could deliver hundreds of perfect customers every day but it'll all be for nothing if the website itself is unfriendly or poorly built.  AdWords plays a part, of course, you've got to deliver those perfect customers, but don't obsess on AdWords only, follow the whole path through to the sale (or other conversion) and check each aspect.  A good AdWords manager has to be part website designer...

The rest can really come after this.  Sorting out the mess should happen as a natural process of the above.  If you're moving Keywords around and making sure your Groups are focused the Account should gain structure anyway. Once it's "stable" you can then spend some time planning a better structure.

I'm not sure why you think having (more than) 6 Ads in a group is a bad thing.  I'd always recommend every Ad Group has at least 3 Ad variations and although I personally probably wouldn't go to as many as 6 or more, there's not really any reason to think this is a bad thing unless you've got Ads that are clearly not working.  How important this is will depend upon your Ad Rotation settings.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

The tracking system isn't set on the exit page so I don't actually know how much the sale is worth and if it's convenient and all the information coming from there.

For the other pages it works even though the CTR overall is too low and I need to get at least 10 leads a week to keep it profitable so I need to find the way to increase conversion.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks very much,

I meant tracking system for conversions, I need to know if the money I spent are worth it and at the moment I don't know it.

I am already doing what you suggested and because the account is too big and disorganized I am actually creating a new campaign with the keywords that drive traffic and see if results improve.

Many thanks

Oscar

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I agree with you on the ads but I have adgroups with 9 to 12 ads and just three of them are performing so that is why what I am doing is pause delete ads, keywords that aren't performing and I am looking at one year time frame, just to make sure that I don't delete/pause good ones.

Tracking system has to be sorted because I can't evaluate performances and it's pointless.

Thanks for your reply.

Oscar

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi 

I am not entirely sure what exactly you are trying to say about conversions. Can you please elaborate with example?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Basically what I am saying is that I cannot see the value of a conversion because it is not tracked and I can't see the value of the basket at all.

Hope it's clear now.

Thanks a lot

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Oscar, the obvious answer is "Why can't you see the value of the basket?"

If you can't track the value of sales, you'll never be able to track the value of AdWords truly effectively, especially if margins are tight.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits