AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New to adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i am keen to understand how adwords, google advetising to increase website traffic, SEO works..

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: New to adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Meghana,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I would first like to make it clear to you that AdWords and SEO are unrelated; this community is dedicated to all things AdWords related so you should check out the Webmaster Central Forum for SEO related help.

For all AdWords fundamentals I recommend that you initially have a look at the AdWords Help section as this contains excellent advice for both newcomers and regular users of AdWords. There are also a selection of AdWords Help videos on YouTube which can help you become familiar with the interface while learning particular things. 

If you have any specific questions then you can always ask them here as we have a very active and eager community always willing to help.

I hope you have fun and find success using AdWords!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would get started with this intro to adwords document: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=1713894 to understand the program and options available to you.  Come back and ask questions if they come up!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Meghana,

In addition to the above informative replies, I would also like to add the Wiki section available on top of the Community section. It comprises of different categories where the Wiki authors have shared very useful articles, so you can explore from basics to the other sections and enhance your knowledge.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Meghana,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I would first like to make it clear to you that AdWords and SEO are unrelated; this community is dedicated to all things AdWords related so you should check out the Webmaster Central Forum for SEO related help.

For all AdWords fundamentals I recommend that you initially have a look at the AdWords Help section as this contains excellent advice for both newcomers and regular users of AdWords. There are also a selection of AdWords Help videos on YouTube which can help you become familiar with the interface while learning particular things. 

If you have any specific questions then you can always ask them here as we have a very active and eager community always willing to help.

I hope you have fun and find success using AdWords!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would get started with this intro to adwords document: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=1713894 to understand the program and options available to you.  Come back and ask questions if they come up!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
woah - ScottyD you are fast Smiley Wink

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Noted...

Thanks & Regards

Meghana

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Excellent Meghana,

You have plenty to learn but feel free to come back and ask any questions you run into - there are no dumb adwords questions!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Meghana,

In addition to the above informative replies, I would also like to add the Wiki section available on top of the Community section. It comprises of different categories where the Wiki authors have shared very useful articles, so you can explore from basics to the other sections and enhance your knowledge.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Noted Pankaj & kim.
Regards
Meghana

[ Edited ]
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

You have some great links to visit, but I shall try answer your question.

The AdWords search network is advertising through a selection of words (keywords). This is different to "meta tags" that SEO guys may use to get your website found naturally.

To distinguish between the two, AdWords are the three results (in shaded area) at the top of a search and down the right hand side (11 positions) whereas SEO will help you land in the 10 natural results on the left.

Both positions are key to potential success online. Appearing on the first page of natural listing takes time and could take longer then the simplistic auction styled structure used to get yourself on the top or right hand side of Google.

To get the key position on the shaded top or down the right hand side of the first couple of pages you would bid against people who are already competing for select keywords. With just 11 positions per page, the higher you bid - the higher your position. You do not pay to be seen, you pay to be clicked on. Cost per click.

So we set aside the time consuming process of SEO and focus on AdWords. PPC or AdWords is like opening a virtual shop. Your opening hours are dictated by your daily budget. A daily budget is the amount you are willing to pay in total per day. Various posts on this forum can explain how to decide on what this should be.

Dependant on the keywords you select, your ad will only be seen in the "right" place at the right time - seconds after a user enters a search.

For example, if I was a PPC Mangement Firm, I would bid on "adwords account manager" as this is the service I offer and the phrase I would like to be found for. I am confident anyone who searches this is not looking for 'apples'. So I deem this a HIGHLY relavent keyword and can control my position through bids.

I would not pay for my advert to be seen. I pay for each "lead" that lands on my page. Cost per click. If I want ten customers through my "virtual shop door" per day. I would check the keyword tool for a first page CPC bid estimate and multiply by ten. After my tenth click has been received - my ads will stop running till tomorrow.

There are no contracts, you can start/stop ads when you want. You can schedule your ads to apear at set times of the day aswell as display your ads in a targeted geographical location. TOTAL control.

You can either be billed "pay as you go" (manual payments) OR pay for your clicks at the end of the month (auto payments).

This is a very brief outline. Much more to learn on quality score, account structure nd the other newtworks you could advertise on - but I hope this helped a tiny bit.