AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New to Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I hope the Google team is reading this. I find the UI for the Adwords horrible. There was not one step in which I could understand intuitively what to do - in every step I had to do a Google search to get instructions on how to operate the system.

For example - extending a campaign once it is over is the most tiresome set of actions - instead of having an option to extend the campaign on the message itself, I have to go to the campaign's settings (which are "hard" to find) and there it is another twenty some seconds to guess where and how to set it up.

I am not unfamiliar with tech platforms, but this one is one of the hardest to operate I have encouered in a long time.

Shai

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New to Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Shai, sorry to hear you've had problems.  I'm pretty sure I won't be alone in saying that there are certainly elements of the Adwords interface that could be improved:  It's a system that has evolved dramatically over time with new features and changes to existing functionality being released at an incredible rate and it is, unfortunately, a little inevitable that some of the functionality becomes less than obvious.

However, if I were to offer any defence on Google's part, it would be that Adwords is not really an intuitive type system.  Approaching Adwords expecting to be to able to find the very many features all obvious and intuitive will almost certainly result in poor performance and disappointment.  Rather than searching for help on each feature as it comes up, it would be a much better approach to thoroughly read the Beginner's Guides and various help files before attempting to create your first campaign.

Although individual accounts can be straightforward in their construction, Adwords itself really isn't a simple system.  It's much more MS Word 2010 (which I find virtually unusable) than Notepad, if you see what I mean.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hello Shaihi,

I am really sorry your are not finding AdWords intuitive. You are probably not alone.

The "Google Team" is reading this. I will certainly pass your comment to appropriate Teams at Google.

Usability is a very high priority for all Google products. You have probably seen how the interface of many Google products has changed over the past half year or so. There is still a lot more to do.

Please do hang in there and help us help you by continuing to provide feedback on your experience with AdWords.

Cheers,

E

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Not to be contradictory, but in comparison to Google's search marketing competitors, the AdWords interface is exceptionally intuitive, IMO. I think it's just a matter of context. Smiley Happy Nothing makes me appreciate the AdWords UI and editor interfaces like trying to use the competitors products. For what it's worth, as bad as the adwords UI may seem, I believe it is by far the best PPC advertising interface and program, in so many ways. Smiley Happy

Tom

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Well, this is some endorsement Thomas!
E
Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

It's not an endorsement per-se, that's just my honest opinion. Smiley Happy

I don't know half as much as I should about search engine marketing, but I do find it much easier to learn the AdWords UI (especially because of the community support) than competitors systems (who have nothing I would consider a "community"). This "internet stuff" ain't easy. No one is born knowing everything. Every system takes time to learn, every program is different. In comparison, as far as I'm concerned - I enjoy playing the AdWords game for our clients, and loathe playing the competitors system's game for some of those same clients. When you try to compare apples to apples, AdWords vs. the competition, there is no comparison - When it comes to the overall bottom line of the business. Smiley Happy

I would challenge anyone, any SEM firm, of any size -  To produce the same results from AdWords, using the same variables, with any other PPC advertising platform. I appreciate your frustration Shaihi, but, (IMO) the ROI you can generate from AdWords is well worth the time (and potential frustration) it takes to learn the AdWords system. 

Anywho... Any questions you have, anything at all regarding AdWords that you are having frustrations finding the answers you need to, please do ask within this community. We are all here because, to one degree or another, AdWords has provided us all with opportunities in life we may not have had otherwise. For better or worse, in this day and age, you cannot ignore the resources Google and AdWords can provide, if you want your business to survive, let alone prosper. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but it's hard to stay mad if your rolling in the dough! It will take time and effort to possibly get to that point, and there are no guarantees, but in the long run, the short term frustrations (it does get easier with time captain) are a small price to pay for the potential benefits AdWords can offer.

Tom