Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New to Adwords - Help Me With CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I have just launched one of my first Adwords campaigns ever and a few questions have arised:

1. When I add keywords, the initial max CPC to reach page 1 is pretty low, but after a few minutes it rises very high. Is this usual behaviour?
  2. More general about the CPC: Is it the maximum bid amount or is the effective cost per click?
  3. Even though I am the highest bidder on some keywords, my ads dont appear on top of page 1 but rather on the bottom of page 1. Arent mine supposed to be displayed first?
  4. Once I start a campaign, It takes about 3-5 hours untill I see any impressions, allthough the ads and kws have been approved within minutes. Is this usual?

Thanks for the help!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: New to Adwords - Help Me With CPC

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi aragonixinc,

1. Your bid is known also know and Max CPC. That is the maximum amount you are willing to pay for a click. In the reports, CPC will be the actual average of what clicks cost. You won't necessarily pay the maximum amount for each click.

3. Do you mean your ad is the first shown on the page, but it is in a bottom position? It's not just about your bid, it also depends on your Quality Score. Ads are shown in order of AdRank==QS * max CPC bid. You must have a minimum QS (we don't know what that minimum is, but certainly better than 7/10) to get a top of the page listing. I hate it when my ads are at the bottom of the page, but Google insists it is not a bad position.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author aragonixinc
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, aragonixinc.

One cannot tell what the difference is, because it depends on the auctions you take part in and the competition during those auctions.

You will only pay the minimum necessary to beat the advertiser below, and achieve a higher ad rank.

Your CPC = (The Ad Rank of the advertiser below you / Your QS) + 0.01

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

1. I'm not sure why that is happening but it might have to do soomething with Quality score.

2. & 3.. You can't just bid you way upto #1 your quality score of your keyword plays a huge factor.  Learn more here
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010

4. That is very normal. The automated system can quicklly check if ad text is ok but it takes a couple of hours to push your changes out to all the Google Servers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jeremy. Regarding 1) My quality score is pretty high imo. Its between 7 and 10. Any other idea what is causing this bid spikes?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi aragonixinc,

1. Your bid is known also know and Max CPC. That is the maximum amount you are willing to pay for a click. In the reports, CPC will be the actual average of what clicks cost. You won't necessarily pay the maximum amount for each click.

3. Do you mean your ad is the first shown on the page, but it is in a bottom position? It's not just about your bid, it also depends on your Quality Score. Ads are shown in order of AdRank==QS * max CPC bid. You must have a minimum QS (we don't know what that minimum is, but certainly better than 7/10) to get a top of the page listing. I hate it when my ads are at the bottom of the page, but Google insists it is not a bad position.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

petebardo,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a good quality score imo (between 7 and 10). I was indeed talking about first page bottom. I guess i will have to keep changing my ads and keep testing.

One more thing: Whats the avg. difference between my MAX-CPC and my actual CPC considering I have a good quality score? Lets assume: I set my max CPC to 5$ and have a quality score of 10. What are the estimated actual costs per click then?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author aragonixinc
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, aragonixinc.

One cannot tell what the difference is, because it depends on the auctions you take part in and the competition during those auctions.

You will only pay the minimum necessary to beat the advertiser below, and achieve a higher ad rank.

Your CPC = (The Ad Rank of the advertiser below you / Your QS) + 0.01

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.