AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New more relevant ad group = quality score went down.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I moved a key word to a new ad group with more relevant ad. And paused it in old one.

My quality score for paused one is 6/10 

My quality score for new one is 5/10 

Same landing page, same keyword, all most same ad(changed  2 words to make it more relevant for group keywords), same ad extensions, same bid.

Customer service did not help. First one said wait couple days. It’s been 2 weeks nothing changed. Second said put it on review again by changing match type, and changing it back. Did not helped.

Any ideas why that happened and how to fix it?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New more relevant ad group = quality score went down.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Union V,

A QS of 6/10 is assigned to all new keywords, that's a somewhat recent change. That QS will change as you accrue impressions and clicks and build a CTR history for your keywords. The threshold is generally around 1000 impressions. So, my first advice is "don't obsess over QS of new keywords unless the QS goes down. Do obsess over CTR and do what you can to improve it. Sometimes you will need to bid higher to get a better position on the page. Sometimes you need better ad copy, more tightly themed ad groups, and other optimization techniques. How long has this keyword been running in the new group? Did the ad group already exist and you moved the keyword into it? Or did you create a new ad group for the keyword?

Landing page experience is a big black box. We don't really know much about it. We do know page load time is a major factor, but given this is the same landing page, why it would get a lower score in a different ad group is a mystery. I'm afraid I can't give you any insight there. Do the best you can, and work on improving your CTR. In the long run, that will help more than trying to figure out what "below average" really means in terms of the landing page experience.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Petebaro. Thanks for your reply.
This is not a new keyword. Its been running for a year. The thing with bids and CTR is tricky. As an example 25 clicks lead to a sale. I will make $50 for that sale, that means that in order to make sense my bid should be around $1. And if its not enough to be on top impressions, than CTR will be low. And there nothing else to do with it. So I went other way and tried to separate my keywords to ad groups with more relevant ads. So my Ad relevance score went up as expected. BUT my Landing page experience went down. And now my QS is even lower than before.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Union,

Also can you please provide some more details Before and after shifting the keywords:

1. change in CTR
2. change in Average position,
3. change in cost/ conversion
4. change in conversion rate

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit
I don’t track conversions with google.
I bids, CTR, and positions changed over time. So I will give information on time scale of last 8 weeks for that keyword.

October 1 - October 20 Keyword in old ad group ( before I started to try Increase performance) :

bid 0.78 CPC 0.66 CTR 1.10% position 4.0 search lost(rank) 50%

October 21 - November 5 Keyword in old ad group ( Experimented with bids):

bid 1.04 - 2.63 CPC 1.33 CTR 1.34% position 3.2 search lost(rank) 36%

November 6 - November 16 Keyword in new ad group ( Moved keyword in new group)

bid 2.63 - 1.36 CPC 1.60 CTR 3.81 position 2.5 search lost(rank) 23%

November 17 - Today Keyword in new ad group (Spend a lot w/o expected results)

bid 0.76 - 0.54 CPC 0.53 CTR 1.45 position 5.1 search lost(rank) 61%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Union V,

Without having an overall view of your account structure,

1. you have to see the Search Terms that derived from this keyword. Are these the same? Do you have the same negative keywords in the new ad group as the previous one?
2. Are there any keywords in other ad groups or campaigns that may conflict with this one?
3. Add this keyword as negative in your previous ad group.
4. Do you use CPC or ECPC as bidding strategy?
5. Finally, you can find via Auction Insights if the competition is the same

Taking all the above into consideration, I think you can find some answers.

Please come back and let us know about your progress!

Best regards,
Dimitris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dimitris K, Thanks for your reply.
1. I use phase match only and I don’t have any negative keywords.
2. I don’t think so.
3. Ok will do.
4. CPC
5. Competition changed. sense I experimented with bids. But How can that effect Landing page experience score?
And how can any of above effect Landing page experience score?
I don’t think we need to dig that far. My question is, how is it possible that same landing page for same keyword. and slightly changed ad (all other conditions are same) is showing such different experience score from Above average to Below average.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
These factors does not affect directly landing page experience but are relevant to why people click on you and what do they find.

Let me ask you something else.
Your landing page is not your home page, right?

If you have your Adworda account linked to Google Analytics, please check the performance of this keyword segmented by device between two periods.

Provide us info related to:
1. Bounce rate
2. Avg. Session duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dimitris K
My volume of clicks is low. So this info not going to show actual data. But I got your point. And I didn’t notices much of the difference between two periods.
New group from November 5 till now 7 clicks 28% bounce rate.
Old group for a period of time 3 mounts 12 clicks 50% bounce rate.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Union V,

Here's what I'm seeing from the data you have provided. The keywords in the old ad group had been there quite a while. If those 12 clicks represent the 1.10% CTR you cited, that's 1090 impressions or so. In the new group, 7 clicks at 1.60% CTR would have around 185 impressions. That's not enough impressions to affect your Quality Score on those keywords in the new group. Generally you need about 1000 impressions.

You're getting a much better CTR in higher positions on the page. You'll have to determine whether the additional actual CPC is worth the increased traffic. What I don't see is the comparative CTR, how you compare to competitors. This plays a part in the QS for the keywords. If you haven't yet, add that column to see where you stand.

It looks like you're getting a lower bounce rate from the new ad group. That's good, it indicates people find on your page what the ad said. You said you don't measure conversions with AdWords. How are you measuring conversions? Is the conversion rate good? Has it improved for these keywords? It may be to early to tell with few impressions, few clicks, and certainly few conversions.

Landing page relevance is a big mystery, and I think that's intentional on Google's part. All we know for certain is includes page load time analysis and for mobile search it includes a mobile usability score. Many have speculated that bounce rate is involved, I'm not one of them. Don't obsess over the score. Do the best you can and work on improving what you can control, CTR. You do that by testing new ad copy and adjusting your bids to reach the optimum position placement on the SERPs. As CTR improves, so will your QS, and that should lead to lower actual CPCs.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords