2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New here so be nice... how to set up 2nd ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new here and in on a google coupon card trial... I have set up a text ad and want to compare it to an image ad... How do I set up the second imag add... I simply cannot find the place where I add a second ad... thank you for your patience with what hast to be a dumb question 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: New here so be nice... how to set up 2nd ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi IndiaTravelFilm,

In order to run image ads, you must be opted into the Display Network. If you are running a search only campaign, you will not be able to create image ads.

Go to the ad group where you want to add the image ad. Toward the top, just below the graph, there's a button "+ New Ad+". Click on that you will be able to select "new image ad". I normally create the image ads and upload the image rather than use their builder.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi IndiaTravelFilm,

In order to run image ads, you must be opted into the Display Network. If you are running a search only campaign, you will not be able to create image ads.

Go to the ad group where you want to add the image ad. Toward the top, just below the graph, there's a button "+ New Ad+". Click on that you will be able to select "new image ad". I normally create the image ads and upload the image rather than use their builder.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Also,

to be able to run image ads you must bid by CPM, thousand impressions that is. So you get to more space to show your ad, but will have to pay even though no one clicks on it.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Welcome IndiaTravelFilm. This is an open resource for resolving your advertising issues so feel free to ask any question Smiley Happy

Please visit http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=7679 for a detailed process to create image ads.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if anything.

Good Luck,

Rashmi

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

I have to correct David. You don't have to use CPM bidding for image ads. Since others are being referred to this thread, I thought that should be noted. Smiley Happy

Tom

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

CPM bidding is actually just another way to bid on clicks. They factor your CPM bids and CTR and calculate your max CPC bid from that. You really still just pay for clicks.

Pete

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry my mistake!!

Thomas is absolutely right - you CAN use image ads and still bid cpc.

I usually don´t do that, but that´s another thing. I usually only use image ads when I know I reach a very relevant audience  (because I am using remarketing or targeting a specific URL or domain that I am pretty sure is visited by my audience, I may even test that first with cpc text ads). Then I use image ads and cpm bidding to get a lot of ad space, a high ctr, and a low cpc- and conversion-cost.

Would be interesting to hear what people prefer when using image ads: cpc or cpm bidding. I may start another thread for that.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@petebardo

I can´t really agree that you "still just pay for clicks" when using cpm bidding.
You do only actually pay when you get impressions, don´t you?

However, it´s true that you compete with cpc bidding ads based on their performance (or rather: effetiveness) per thousand impressions.eCPM

So I would rather say that you pay per impression or by click, but (no matter what bidding type) get ranked based on your performance per thousand impressions, when cpc and cpm ads fight for the same as space.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Ok, you are bidding on CPM basis. To enter the ad auction, Google factors your average CTR and uses that to establish ad rank. CPM is the max bid. So, you are correct, you are billed CPM. But essentially it is the same thing as CPC, just a little more complicated formula in doing so. Google does what it needs to do to bring the thousand impressions at a cost at or below your CPM bid.

Pete