AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New campaign set up with promotional voucher, but won't run until payment is made?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I wanted to redeem a promotional code that was sent through to me, so I set up the account, selected manual payment, entered in no details but then redeemed the promotional code for £75. 

I get a red message on my campaigns tab telling me that the promotion is not working due to no payment received. I thought that the promotional code might not have been redeemed properly but it says that it has been redeemed already when I went to re-enter it. 

Could someone tell me why this is happening? I was pretty sure that the promotional voucher that I used was a no purchase necessary offer. 

Thanks

Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New campaign set up with promotional voucher, but won't run until payment is made?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Wandel; welcome to AdWords;

You do need to provide a valid credit card before you can redeem your voucher. ( The reason is that assuming that you would like to continue your campaign with no interruption, after the voucher is exhausted, Google needs a valid payment method to charge you.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: New campaign set up with promotional voucher, but won't run until payment is made?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to use just the promotional voucher to see how google adwords works. What is the best way to do this? Manual or Automatic Payment? I originally thought that using the Manual payment, and using the vocher would be best as it says there is no obligation or commitment on the voucher, but when I go this route and put in a credit card, it says I need to put in a minimum of $20 on it. How does the Automatic Payment work then? Would the $100 credit show up and run down as the ads are being used or would you just get an invoice at the end of 30 days?

Thanks!

Vicky

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, yes you can try adwords through a voucher. With manual payments you don't need to input a credit card. Hope this helps.

Re: Auto payment vs. Manual payment

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello VIXMONEY; welcome to AdWords;

If you set an auto payment, you'll have to watch that the charges do not exceed the voucher value, otherwise your CC will be charged. There is no way to automatically stop a campaign when spending reaches the voucher value. (You will have to keep track on spending yourself.)

Having said that, I would go with auto-payment, since later (assuming you would like to continue advertising), it's an easier method of payment, compared to depositing money in advance. (Using manual payment.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’