AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New advertiser - adwords strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi! 

I am a new advertiser and would like some feedback on my adwords strategy. I am looking at doing some A/B testing.

My first idea is to advertise domain A, but have the landing page on Domain B (week 1), Domain C (week 2), etc. This way I can test different domain landing pages to see which one performs the best. It would be something like these people here advertising http://www.estacbpinfo.com/ which just forwards to another domain http://estausavisas.com/ 

My second idea is to advertise Domain A but use a different landing page depending on what IP the customer comes in from. I found one company doing this at http://www.123-usa.com/formalites Depending on your incoming IP here, the landing page is different. I have tried on French IP and UK IP.

Which one of these do you recommend? All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

John

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Re: New advertiser - adwords strategy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @John Steven S to be honest, I think both approaches have their flaws (sorry!).

Using different domains for A/B testing has the problem that you might confuse repeat visitors.  If someone lands on bob.com one day and pete.com the next, it doesn't help to generate a good branding impression.

Directing to different pages via IP is interesting, but here I think the flaw is that you probably won't be testing like-minded groups.  In your own example, if you split the UK and French visitors to different pages, how could you be sure any differences in performance were due to the page design and not simply to the different cultures of the visitors?

Why not simply do a 'normal' A/B test were you direct a percentage of visitors to one page and a percentage to another, directly from AdWords?  You could do this either using Campaign Experiments or by automation using scripts.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @John Steven S to be honest, I think both approaches have their flaws (sorry!).

Using different domains for A/B testing has the problem that you might confuse repeat visitors.  If someone lands on bob.com one day and pete.com the next, it doesn't help to generate a good branding impression.

Directing to different pages via IP is interesting, but here I think the flaw is that you probably won't be testing like-minded groups.  In your own example, if you split the UK and French visitors to different pages, how could you be sure any differences in performance were due to the page design and not simply to the different cultures of the visitors?

Why not simply do a 'normal' A/B test were you direct a percentage of visitors to one page and a percentage to another, directly from AdWords?  You could do this either using Campaign Experiments or by automation using scripts.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your swift reply, much appriciated.

I see your point, as I am new to adwords I guess I am trying different approaches, and the examples I mentioned I found very interesting.

So just to follow up, if I were to this A/B testing and even C, what page would I need to provide to Google? All of them or just 1?

Also I don't want to do anything wrong so I get suspended and studying for the adwords certification exam I happened to read the Adwords policies and looked at the prohibited practices and the example given in the first section under Abuse of the ad network:

"Examples of abuse of the ad network: promoting content that contains malware; "cloaking" or using other techniques to hide the true destination that users are directed to; "arbitrage" or promoting destinations for the sole or primary purpose of showing ads; promoting "bridge" or "gateway" destinations that are solely designed to send users elsewhere; advertising with the sole or primary intent of gaining public social network endorsements from the user; "gaming" or manipulating settings in an attempt to circumvent our policy review systems."

From how I interpret the text the practice these guys are doing is then not allowed? Will my ads be banned if I redirect people to new a site with an A/B model?

I am a little perplexed, perhaps you or someone else can clarify?

John