AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New ad placement and info tracking - Help Required !!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

My concern is for a case where i am having a single landing page with 2 different ads referring to same landing page. I want to track information such campaign details, keywords, description etc. Since from the other suggestions in adwords community i found that manual and auto-tagging shouldn't really be made active at a same time due to data loss i might opt for a different solution. Value tracking could be the one, but then i didn't really found any such parameter for campaign though one for keywords exists.

If a person clicks on any of the ad, he would be redirected to my landing page and so i would like to store data in salesforce. The data would certainly contain keyword from which the ad could be tracked, and the campaign name so that i might differentiate the lead forming in database as per to the parameters.

What would be the best suitable way to handle this issue correctly and how could it be implemented.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New ad placement and info tracking - Help Required !!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rajat,

You can use auto-tagging and manual tagging at the same time. I do without a problem.

The thing you don't want to do is use the utm_ named variables. That causes double-reporting of your data.

You can get the keyword that triggered the ad using {keyword}. You can't get the ad copy, but you can get the ad id number {creative}. You can't get the campaign name with these, you'll have to add that manually to your destination URL. The destination would look something like this:

www.example.com/LandingPage.html?keyword={keyword}&campaign=Campaign1&ad={creative}

The ad id is tough to interpret unless you use the API. You might just describe the ad (free shipping, no sales tax, etc) instead. There is a limit to the length of the query string AdWords will create. If you exceed that length, the gclid (which is appended to the end of you query string) will be truncated or left out, and that will affect your tracking stats in Analytics. Something like this:

www.example.com/LandingPage.html?keyword={keyword}&campaign=Campaign1&ad=free+shipping

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: New ad placement and info tracking - Help Required !!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete, 

Thanks for detailed explanation. Quite helpful. Now, the concern is if i totally quit auto-tagging and rely only on manual tagging, would there be any data(analytics) that i would lost anyhow?

After manual tagging, would the tracking go beyond one level i.e if i click on certain landing pages other than the one specified in ad, would they be equally tracked or i have to apply some external JS to move the tracking further on respective pages?

Thanks