2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

New Company New Advertising Campaign, First Month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I started a new company recently, my first ever. It's very exciting getting to learn what comes with owning a business, especially managing and running your own ads on Google Adwords. I have a few questions however, and this is to anyone who has experience with a small business, and the small daily budgets that go with it.

How were your first few months?

To detail mine, my first week was a disaster. I spent too much money on keywords that were way too broad, it ended up costing me my daily budget in little time at all. After my first week, I learned to tune down my keyword results by using exact and phrase matches. This has saved me a lot of money, and for the most part, I now make my advertising cost daily back in profit, and then some. 

I have been doing this only one month, and one thing I notice is that somedays are good, and somedays are just bad. Like today, plenty of hits on my site for keywords that are relevant. Just sometimes not a lot of sales at all.

I understand that this can be because of many things, landing pages for one, product price, etc. I feel in my case, I have good landing pages, but the prices are not the cheapest, they are what I would say average.

I guess what I want to really know, is did anyone else struggle to make sales for the first month? Did they notice it slowly picking up in month 2, 6 months, a year? Should I expect the same as my website becomes relevant on the internet?

Just trying to get an outlook for the future is all, as well as any tips to help optimize low budget campaigns.

Right now, my budget is 20$ a day. I can afford more, but don't plan to until I can optimize it enough so that I always make 20$ a day, or majority of my days, in profit.

Sorry for rambling, but I appreciate the help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New Company New Advertising Campaign, First Month

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

What you are describing is a learning curve many new advertisers go through when moving from the "newbie" stage" to the "mid level" . At this stage, they start to pay more attention to costs, conversions, and campaign performances;

Having said that; every business needs to customize the campaign based on many factors You have not posted your website, so I can only make a general comment: if you already worked on your keywords, and have made a list of tightly relevant ones (for your businesses) - it's time to move towards the ad-copy, and the work on the structure and content of the landing page. (I consider the landing page to be a major factor for high conversions.)

We did a few case studies last summer, of real businesses, from variety of commerce disciplines. I would recommend that you read a few, and figure which tips / advice could be implemented in your campaign.

AdWords Case Studies (Community Account Optimizations)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

www.gulfcoastmedicalsupply.com is my website. I honestly hate the way it looks, its built on network solutions platform, and personally, their templates are trash. If I were to redo things, I'd probably move my site to something like shopify, and have a template that at least is nicer to look at. But that is what it looks like for now.

My landing pages are normally just the category page for the product, so bacteriostatic water, sterile water, syringe with needle, etc.

I have done quite a bit of keyword research my top competitors are people like bulkysyringes.com eastcoastmedicalsupply.com mainlandmedicalsupply.com to name a few.

My landing pages are kind of similar to theres, and if you ask me, they dont detail a whole lot. normally just a product, a price.

That being said, for the most part, my bouce rate isnt too high. It's usually less than 50% for the day, and I dont notice a whole lot of people leaving anymore, but this could still be an issue.

One of the things that I dont like is how I dont have product variations, I have to pay a lot of extra money to obtain them, and just havent decided to do this yet till it was a good time.

I have been focusing more now on the substance of my ads, I compare it to my compeitors, and usually try to write ads similar to theres.

I can say that my conversion % lifetime across all my campaigns is about 8%. and 17.67$ per. My average sale is right around 20$.

I recently put an effort to get the highest quality score, and most of my costs per click have started to reduce. I get about 14+ clicks a day before I go over my limit (its only 20 dollars, I know its low, but I feel like I burn money away when I spend more)

I will read your post later this evening and try to learn some more.

I would say that I am moving to that mid level range, but its soo hard to find good information. I still dont know if I'm doing alright for about a month and a half or not, but I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks again

Ryan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ohhh....

Are those solutions offered require prescriptions? Carefully read the healthcare and medicine Policy! - You might be violating the Policy!

Are you a licensed on-line pharmacy?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I should be safe under their policies. I read the policy thing about 40 times, talked with professionals, and everyone suggested it shouldnt be an issue, as I'm only selling sterile water. No I am not a licensed on-line pharmacy. but neither are all of the other people advertising in the top spots. This includes every single company that is currently advertising.

you made me paranoid so i rechecked the list and legitscript, nothing comes up. I really think I am okay when it comes to these. My business model is kind of molded after a friend in real life, and hes been advertising and selling this way for over 4 years.