AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Never going to show my ads, running me in circles.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

first my bid is not enough, so I up it until i will lose money on sales. Next my ad isn't good enough, next my keywords are not relevant, so I figured out how to let google pick them. Now i am not opted into some crap. Please save me 20 more hours, do I have to hire someone to use adwords?  Is this some sort of scam?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christina S
September 2015

Re: Never going to show my ads, running me in circles.

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Christina S

Sorry you are having issues with Adwords.

First you need to make sure you have relevant keywords. There are different match types, from Exact match, Phrase match, Board Match and Broad Match Qualifiers.

Each Adgroup should be tightly focused upon a select few keywords.
This is important because at the end of the day Your Keywords, Your Ad and your Landing page should match as much as possible. This leads to good quality scores, less costly CPCs and better management optimization.

As an Example:
You product is Blue Widgets. Your Landing page is .../blue-widgets
Your Ad should be:
Headline : Buy Blue Widgets
Line 1: Low Price Blue Widgets
Line 2: Order Today, Free Shipping
Dest URL ..../Blue-Widgets

The Synergy is focused on the Blue Widgets. Your Keywords are Blue Widgets, the Landing page is Blue Widgets and the Ad is Blue Widgets. This leads to a decent quality score.
If One of my keywords in this ad group would be "Purple Buttons" that keyword would be out of place in the group and the Ad, and Landing page would not match. Leading to lower quality scores and potentially not getting impression for that Keyword.

So action steps,
Make your ad group tight, there can be 1 or 15 keywords in your ad group, as long as the Keyword matches the AD and landing page. You can have as many ad groups as necessary.

Once your Ads and landing pages match your keywords, then work with the different Match types.

Exact Match is the keyword in brackets [Exact Match]. This will only show your add for the exact verbatim words. So in our blue widgets example.

When some types in Blue Widgets into the search query.
If your ad could show up if your match types are as follows
[Blue Widgets]
Blue Widgets -- Broad match
"Blue Widgets" phrase match
+Blue +Widget Broad match qualifier

If someone search for " How do I find Blue Widgets"
Your ad would not show for
[Blue Widgets] but would show for all the other variations.

If you use Broad match, Phrase match or Broad match Qualifiers, you need to make sure you also add an extensive Negative Keyword list so that you do not show impressions or get clicks for irrelevant searches.

If it is to confusing, you can contact the HELP desk at Google, or hire a Google Partner that is certified. There are plenty of us out there.

if you have other question just ask, You may also want to utilize Google Helpouts, which is a Live Video chat in which you can get some professional help as well.

The main thing is Christina, there is help out there for you and if you are willing to learn there are plenty of resources. But if you want a Pro to help, there are plenty of us around as well.

Good Luck.
Thanks
Eric Gehler

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

Eric G's advice and information are good. It's important to understand campaign structure and how the AdWords program actually works in order to advertiser successfully.

And, yes, the learning curve can be steep. I would strongly encourage you to read the material in the AdWords Help Center to understand at least the fundamentals. (I assume you've set your advertising goals already and are now just trying to get your ads to be competitive.)

For instance, from what you say, I assume you ran into a "below first page bid estimate" message on your bids?  It's not generally necessary (or wise) to increase your bids to the point where you lose money on a sale and it's possible that there were other strategies you could have tried. Understanding the messages the system produces, knowing how to look at your data and what it means--these are really important factors of using the program successfully.

No, AdWords is not a scam in any form. It is, however, a complex and sophisticated advertising platform designed to meet the needs of businesses of all types and sizes. The learning curve can be steep--I'm not embarrassed to admit that back when I learned it, I probably spent over 100 hours studying about the program before I felt I was beginning to understand it.

Reasonable expectations are necessary. Your campaign is unlikely to be successful immediately--success takes time and effort as you optimize and adjust your campaign elements to produce the results you need.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Christina S

Sorry you are having issues with Adwords.

First you need to make sure you have relevant keywords. There are different match types, from Exact match, Phrase match, Board Match and Broad Match Qualifiers.

Each Adgroup should be tightly focused upon a select few keywords.
This is important because at the end of the day Your Keywords, Your Ad and your Landing page should match as much as possible. This leads to good quality scores, less costly CPCs and better management optimization.

As an Example:
You product is Blue Widgets. Your Landing page is .../blue-widgets
Your Ad should be:
Headline : Buy Blue Widgets
Line 1: Low Price Blue Widgets
Line 2: Order Today, Free Shipping
Dest URL ..../Blue-Widgets

The Synergy is focused on the Blue Widgets. Your Keywords are Blue Widgets, the Landing page is Blue Widgets and the Ad is Blue Widgets. This leads to a decent quality score.
If One of my keywords in this ad group would be "Purple Buttons" that keyword would be out of place in the group and the Ad, and Landing page would not match. Leading to lower quality scores and potentially not getting impression for that Keyword.

So action steps,
Make your ad group tight, there can be 1 or 15 keywords in your ad group, as long as the Keyword matches the AD and landing page. You can have as many ad groups as necessary.

Once your Ads and landing pages match your keywords, then work with the different Match types.

Exact Match is the keyword in brackets [Exact Match]. This will only show your add for the exact verbatim words. So in our blue widgets example.

When some types in Blue Widgets into the search query.
If your ad could show up if your match types are as follows
[Blue Widgets]
Blue Widgets -- Broad match
"Blue Widgets" phrase match
+Blue +Widget Broad match qualifier

If someone search for " How do I find Blue Widgets"
Your ad would not show for
[Blue Widgets] but would show for all the other variations.

If you use Broad match, Phrase match or Broad match Qualifiers, you need to make sure you also add an extensive Negative Keyword list so that you do not show impressions or get clicks for irrelevant searches.

If it is to confusing, you can contact the HELP desk at Google, or hire a Google Partner that is certified. There are plenty of us out there.

if you have other question just ask, You may also want to utilize Google Helpouts, which is a Live Video chat in which you can get some professional help as well.

The main thing is Christina, there is help out there for you and if you are willing to learn there are plenty of resources. But if you want a Pro to help, there are plenty of us around as well.

Good Luck.
Thanks
Eric Gehler
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

Eric G's advice and information are good. It's important to understand campaign structure and how the AdWords program actually works in order to advertiser successfully.

And, yes, the learning curve can be steep. I would strongly encourage you to read the material in the AdWords Help Center to understand at least the fundamentals. (I assume you've set your advertising goals already and are now just trying to get your ads to be competitive.)

For instance, from what you say, I assume you ran into a "below first page bid estimate" message on your bids?  It's not generally necessary (or wise) to increase your bids to the point where you lose money on a sale and it's possible that there were other strategies you could have tried. Understanding the messages the system produces, knowing how to look at your data and what it means--these are really important factors of using the program successfully.

No, AdWords is not a scam in any form. It is, however, a complex and sophisticated advertising platform designed to meet the needs of businesses of all types and sizes. The learning curve can be steep--I'm not embarrassed to admit that back when I learned it, I probably spent over 100 hours studying about the program before I felt I was beginning to understand it.

Reasonable expectations are necessary. Your campaign is unlikely to be successful immediately--success takes time and effort as you optimize and adjust your campaign elements to produce the results you need.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both! I am old school and became very good at FindWhat and Kanoodle type engines. Sigh, things were so simple then. You could get so much traffic fro .03 cents a click! Now you can't do anything with .25 cents pc. The details are overwhelming.
I will try to revise my website. I am trying to sell my book "3000 texts", by keywords of what the book is about. Those words are not on the landing pages.
The few that are, belong to the people with $50,000 budgets. Thank you for your help, I will try a few more things as you suggested.
Tina
www.3000texts.com