Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I have 3 Adgroups: " Reading Glasses", "Sun Glasses", "Diving Eyeglasses" - with ads "get reading glasses",  "get sun glasses", "diving eyeglasses":

In order to display the right ad for a certain search term I used Negative Keywords with Broad Match on Adgroup Level: 

Reading Glasses --> neg KW - sun glasses , diving eyglasses

Sun Glasses --> reading glasses, diving eyeglasses

Diving Eyeglasses --> reading glasses, sun glasses

BUT they get displayed not as I intended it - It happens that for example searching for "sun glasses" - I get "reading glasses" ... 

Thx for help or tipps! 

best regards B.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Negative keywords

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Bernhard F,

What keywords match type you are using for your targeting keywords, is it broad?

I would recommend to use them in modified broad or phrase match type.

Also, use these negatives in phrase or exact if there are more than one words.

Though changing the keywords match type will restrict the ads to trigger from other ad groups.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Negative keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Bernhard F

That's really strange and sounds frustrating! It sounds to me like you've done everything right.

First, I would just double check what the Ad Preview Tool is telling you. When you search in the Ad Preview Tool, check the green bar that says "Yes, your ad is showing for the keyword [keyword]..." Next to that sentence it will show which keyword is triggering the ad and from which ad group. As a first step, make sure the ad you're seeing for that search term really is pulling the ad for the wrong ad group, example: "sun glasses" is triggering your Reading Glasses ads. 

What it should say if all is correct: Yes, your ad is showing for the keyword [sun glasses] (Glasses Store) > Sun Glasses. 

If that's all correct but you're still getting the wrong ads, I have two suggestions you could try:

1. Try adding negative keywords "sun" and "sunglasses" and all other variations instead of +sun +glasses (and so on). 

2. Set up three separate campaigns for Reading Glasses, Sun Glasses and Diving Eyeglasses. 

As I said above, it seems like you've done everything right so try those suggestions and if you're still having problems, contact Google directly. 

Best of luck!

Allie 

Negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Allie,

Thx for the fast reply - I will try it out!

best Reg

B.

Negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thx Archit - I will try it that way

best reg.

B.

Negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Bernhard F,

I would add following way:

Reading Glasses --> neg KW - sun, sunglasses, sunglass, diving, "sun glasses", "sun glass"

Sun Glasses --> reading, diving

Diving Eyeglasses --> reading, sun, sunglasses, sunglass, "sun glasses", "sun glass"

Based on search term report I will find more variations and would add in appropriate adgroup.

@Archit: We can't add negative term in modified. Only Broad, Phrase and exact match are available. Also negative keyword do not work for close variation, so we need to add all variations in negative.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Negative keywords

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Neha Gupta thanks for pointing out the mistake.

It was exact match, edited the post.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’