AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords with similar keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I have two campaigns. One focused on keywords coupon and an other focused on coupon code with broad keyword in it. How can I prevent that the campaign "coupon code" will trigger variations of the keyword "coupon"...

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by leandrofm (Participant ✭ ✭ ✭)
September 2016

Re: Negative keywords with similar keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Dirkwim,

For starters, I hope that your keywords are more precise than 'coupon' and 'coupon code'.  Especially if you're using broad match, keeping these ad groups separate and on point is going to be a little challenging. You're essentially telling AdWords to match to as many search queries as possible and then at the same time, you want to refine where traffic lands where and which ad groups match particular search queries.  These two strategies don't mesh well together.

If my assumptions are accurate, one option is sometimes referred to as embedded negative keywords. This may be the reverse of what you want but let's say that all of the keywords in the 'code' ad group, actually contain the term 'code'.  In your other ad group, you could add the negative keyword 'code'.  This would keep that ad group from matching any search queries including the term code (you should probably add 'codes' as well) essentially acting like a traffic cop, directing any 'code' related search queries to the proper ad group.

That said, using broad match in multiple ad groups with similar keywords can be a struggle, especially if you want to keep traffic separate. I would urge you to mine your search query reports, identify longer tail keywords that are performing well for you, use more restrictive match types and work toward an account setup that gets more and more focused over time.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You have to add all variations of this keyword as exclusion.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dirkwim,

Just to expand on what Tomasz_C said, if you add [coupon] as a exact match negative in the Coupon Code campaign, then no adverts in that campaign will trigger if a user searches for coupon.

Hope this helps,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by leandrofm (Participant ✭ ✭ ✭)
September 2016

Re: Negative keywords with similar keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Dirkwim,

For starters, I hope that your keywords are more precise than 'coupon' and 'coupon code'.  Especially if you're using broad match, keeping these ad groups separate and on point is going to be a little challenging. You're essentially telling AdWords to match to as many search queries as possible and then at the same time, you want to refine where traffic lands where and which ad groups match particular search queries.  These two strategies don't mesh well together.

If my assumptions are accurate, one option is sometimes referred to as embedded negative keywords. This may be the reverse of what you want but let's say that all of the keywords in the 'code' ad group, actually contain the term 'code'.  In your other ad group, you could add the negative keyword 'code'.  This would keep that ad group from matching any search queries including the term code (you should probably add 'codes' as well) essentially acting like a traffic cop, directing any 'code' related search queries to the proper ad group.

That said, using broad match in multiple ad groups with similar keywords can be a struggle, especially if you want to keep traffic separate. I would urge you to mine your search query reports, identify longer tail keywords that are performing well for you, use more restrictive match types and work toward an account setup that gets more and more focused over time.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies

Since both keywords need to have a different approach it's important to make it separate. I do know it's a lot of work but I was curious if there were any other best practices based on experience. Working to an account that's more focussed is something we all should do Smiley Happy