AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords - how to exclude on more advanced level?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have several ad groups that contain the same "part of the keyword", i.e. high heels. What I mean by this is that I have for example ad group:

1. high heels

2. cheap high heels

3. blue high heels

4. high heels for wedding

5. high heels for teenagers

and so on...

I was wondering if including keywords from group 2-5 as negative in group 1 would it make any difference in my CPC, would my ad group "cheap high heels" and "high heels" compete against each other in the auction when a person would search for "high heels" or does Google consider only the closes variant to the search - not ANY that matches. I'm not talking here about the match types at all, just the words included.

Did you ever tested it or have any experience? 

Thanks,

Nata

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Negative keywords - how to exclude on more advanced level?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nata,

Yes, with acorss adgroups negative you can decrease CPC, if set correctly. Also if you use negative cheap, cheapest, blue, wedding and teenager, teenagers in Adgroup 1 High Heels, your ads will not show up for any of these terms for Adgroup1. But I would here also sugegst you to add [high heels], [high heel] in negative exact match type in Adgroup 2 to 5. so that search term high Heel will not complete and show up for Adgroup 2 to 5.

It also depend on match type you are using in adgroups, If you are using phrase and exact match you need to use negative in adgroup 1 only. If you are using broad match, you need to add negatives in all adgroups in order to stop compeition within keywords.

when search query runs google consider closely matched keywords and show impression for the keyword with high ad rank.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

This depends on most important point "match type"

• If you are using exact then they will not compete against each other
  • if you are using phrase or broad then they will compete against each other in mini auction which happens inside your account and winning keyword will participate in main auction, this may not necessarily drive up your CPCs
  • If i was in your place i would still ad negatives just to make sure account is easy to manage when it comes to adding search queries.
  • For example assuming high heels and cheap high heels are different ad group then 
  • In high heels adgroup I will have cheap as negative on broad and [high heels] exact negative in cheap high heels group

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nata,

Yes, with acorss adgroups negative you can decrease CPC, if set correctly. Also if you use negative cheap, cheapest, blue, wedding and teenager, teenagers in Adgroup 1 High Heels, your ads will not show up for any of these terms for Adgroup1. But I would here also sugegst you to add [high heels], [high heel] in negative exact match type in Adgroup 2 to 5. so that search term high Heel will not complete and show up for Adgroup 2 to 5.

It also depend on match type you are using in adgroups, If you are using phrase and exact match you need to use negative in adgroup 1 only. If you are using broad match, you need to add negatives in all adgroups in order to stop compeition within keywords.

when search query runs google consider closely matched keywords and show impression for the keyword with high ad rank.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

This depends on most important point "match type"

• If you are using exact then they will not compete against each other
  • if you are using phrase or broad then they will compete against each other in mini auction which happens inside your account and winning keyword will participate in main auction, this may not necessarily drive up your CPCs
  • If i was in your place i would still ad negatives just to make sure account is easy to manage when it comes to adding search queries.
  • For example assuming high heels and cheap high heels are different ad group then 
  • In high heels adgroup I will have cheap as negative on broad and [high heels] exact negative in cheap high heels group

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Neha and Nik for great replies.

Regarding them - yes, I'm using different match types and I excluded appropriate ones for appropriate match types, as suggested by you.

My only remaining question, if I understood right, you suggested adding [high heel(s)] as negative for the groups with cheap, blue, teenager and wedding, but does the exact match not matches an exact form of that keyword - without any other word in the search performed on Google (no extra words before, between or at the end). Therefore, if someone searches for "cheap high heels" it shouldn't trigger [high heels] since it is an exact match and there is no "cheap" in that keyword...?

As much as I agree with everything suggested, I'm not sure if excluding [high heel(s)] in groups 2-5 is necessary...

Thanks,

Nata

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Again Nata,

Exact match negative keyword works oppostie as exact match positive keyword. In simple words, if you add any negative keyword in exact match, ads won't tigger for exactly same term. It will still appear if the keywords has extra words in the beginning or in the end.

So If you will add [high heels], ads will appear for Cheap High Heels, High Heels for Wedding, trendy High heels etc etc. But will not appear when user type in exactly same search term high heels. I would definately add high heels & high heel in exact match in all other adgroups (2-5) because I feel this is short term keyword plus expensive keyword as compre to other keywords. Also it will have lot of varaitions. So why not to stop this keywords to trigger from other adgoups when you already have specific adgrup for the keyword.

I would also suggest you to go through article on Negative keywords that I have written long back. I hope you will find it uselful. Negative Keywords: As Important as Positive Keywords

Thanks

Neha Gupta