Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords and Search Partners enabled questions

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

1) How do negative keywords at the campaign level impact the search terms / queries incoming from Search Partners ? Do I risk putting the negative free and still seeing search terms including free from Search partners ?

2) What match types to expect from Search Partners traffic ?

I am unable to find any examples of how the search partners traffic is matched to positive keywords or blocked by negative keywords.

Do they match stuff like title tags and the Search terms report shows as match type only "broad match" for searches from parthers ?

3) If I duplicate the Search only campaign and reduce overall bids by 50%, will this ensure a low enough bid for search partners and direct the flow of traffic to these sites , because ad rank is higher for the keywords in the first Search only campaign ?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative keywords and Search Partners enabled questions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

As per my understanding, I would say that since Adwords has given limited access to what you can really do to optimize your ads on Search Partner sites, then the only way of looking at the performance of Search Partner sites is to segment the data with Network(with Search Partners) only.

As you already know that we have an option to either disable these search partner sites or keep them, so the keyword matching options which you are adding in your campaign is going to work similar for Google search and search partner sites. That's my understanding here. Hence if you add any negative keyword at the ad group or campaign level, I would believe that it is going to work the same way on whole Google Search Network.

Personally, I analyze the data from campaign to the core keyword level of Search with Search Partner sites and if at any point of time, I feel that bidding on Search Partner site is not worth enough (considering  all metrics that we have), I simply disable it and keep focussing on the Google search only. Reason being that the data we get for the Partner sites is limited and there is not much flexibility in terms of what options we have to optimize them.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree, but in my case the client wants to expand the search to search partners and I have no traffic to make decisions.

Of course after some traffic these problems will come to surface and I will be able to tweak them, but I am searching for something to present as an anticipation of the outcome of selecting "with search partners".

Are my questions not  documented anywhere with some examples so I should jump ahead to getting traffic to draw conclusions on my own ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adrian,
I want to add only one something, may be it will be helpful.
The only case that your negative keyword can't prevent your ad being triggered, when the customer uses phrases that longer than 10 words and your negative keyword follows the 10th word.

Let's say your negative keyword is "discount." Your ad can show when someone searches for "nice clean hotel rooms in Los Angeles close to beach discount" because your negative keyword is the 11th word in the phrase. On the other hand, we won't show your ad when someone searches for "nice clean hotel rooms in Los Angeles beach views discount" because your negative keyword is the 10th word in the phrase.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Good so we are collecting some ideas :

1) Negative keywords should work the same, but because long queries from search partners could trigger the keywords , in the case of queries from 11 words, if the negative is the last word, the query is not blocked.

2) About match types , will exact match or phrase match work to draw traffic from search partners as they are supposed to , or are keywords considered only simple broad like when targeting the display network ?

3) Didn't anyone play with getting clicks separately from the search partners by duplicating the campaigns and reducing the bids ? It must be just like duplicating a campaign to target the mobile traffic.

I guess I will jump ahead and experiment for myself .