AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Phrasematch not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need some help with a strange issue.

I have set the word "telemarketing" as a negative phrase match on campaign level but I still get clicks for searches like "telemarketing company in location" And this a bounch of times for several days... Makes 0 sense to me.

Could somebody please riddle me this one? Thank you in advance.

PS: There is no misspelling or anything going on here, same keyword.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conrad
September 2015

Re: Negative Phrasematch not working

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello guys;

The following article will sort all your questions:

Negative Keywords: As Important as Positive Keywords

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Conrad,

I happen to come accross one of the blog defining Phrase Negative keywords as below.

**This match type works similarly to traditional search terms in that it will exclude the phrase. A negative keyword is designated as phrase match when quotations are used around the phrase. If someone searches for only one of the terms in your phrase, your ad will still appear. For example, if your negative is “fiction novels” and someone searches for history novels, your ad will still appear. This also means that if additional words are used in the search query, such as fiction romance novels, your ad will still appear as fiction and novels are not next to each other in the search query.**

My suggestion will be to place your "telemarketing" keyword in Broad match in Negatives.

Let us know if this helps you.

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not sure if I want to set it on Broad as that, since I actually do advertise marketing services, thus not sure if I am actually hurting the campaign by doing this.

I do grasp your example but I am not quite certain it applies in this case. My word is a single word I don't want to show up for in any combination at all, which is pretty much what phrase should do...

example: I put "telemarketing" on my negrative list (as phrase since in parenteces).

I should not appear for 'Telemarketing services in X' or 'best telemarketing agencies' or any of those... but I do show and I do get clicks that will not convert ever and just hurt my Bouncerate and quality (though I guess getting the click will help CTR and thus not sure how that over all pans out but I assume not well).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conrad
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello guys;

The following article will sort all your questions:

Negative Keywords: As Important as Positive Keywords

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks... kinda sorta feeling a bit dumb now... 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

The only "dumb" thing is not asking the questions. Smiley Happy  Every, single one of us is here because we had questions and needed answers, after all!

Come back and post again if you have more questions, to let us know the results of your changes, or just to learn more about AdWords.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

No need that I would echo Theresa.  You are most welcome to post follow up questions.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Conrad,

I'm coming into this conversation a bit late. What was in the article, what did you learn? I suspect perhaps you had entered -[telemarketing]--exact match thinking that was phrase match? I ask becuase I had this confusion when I first started. It seems a bit counter-intuitive, but it is what it is.

Any way, I thought if you would share what it was that you discovered it might help other forum users with similar questions.

Thanks!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What I have learned is that Negative Broad match is more or less equivilant in its matching to a 'regular' keyword phrase match and that negative phrase match is a bit different - less greedy - than a normal keyword phrase match.

And no, I had "telemarketing" as a phrase match negative... which I thought should match against my examples above but doesn't.

Be it as it may, until now, I read on a few blogs/sources that there are slight differences but I didn't know exactly how they would work.