Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

I need somebody to help me with this problem:

Sometimes people search for certain services, but also look for a specific person who provides this service. They may look for "Peter Smith", "Birmingham", "window cleaner".

If I am a window cleaner in Birmingham  and my name is not Peter Smith, my advert will show up nevertheless and may be klicked on. I suspect that often people search for their own google ranking and may then search around who else is on the market.

Is there any possibility to add something like "random names" to negative keywords?

I am looking forward to any helpful replies.

Kind regards,

Elisabeth

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elisabeth A
November 2015

Re: Negative Keywords

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Elisabeth,

You cant have any such random predefined list of names.
Though you can add common/popular competitor's names as your negative keywords.
Else you need to have a regular check up on the search term report where you can find those names or other queries by the users that are irrelevant to your business.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elisabeth A
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Elisabeth,

You cant have any such random predefined list of names.
Though you can add common/popular competitor's names as your negative keywords.
Else you need to have a regular check up on the search term report where you can find those names or other queries by the users that are irrelevant to your business.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

To follow with above post, my only piece of advise would be to look at the search terms regularly and add the positive and negative keywords from time to time in your account.

Also, if you have your website name and your name similar, you might be interested in creating ad copies with your brand name. This is another way of letting users know which window cleaner's ad is this.

As far as competition goes, you might be right that people tend to look for their competitors online and try to manipulate things. But in case of Google AdWords, they have sophisticated tools and techniques to keep track of invalid clicks and prevent their advertisers from any sort of online fraud.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks for your reply. I think/hope I have found another solution. I will only accept "exact match" at the keyword match type. That may do the trick. Excluding certain names is not possible because it could be any name. I was hoping that there was a way of excluding names in general. Kind regards, Elisabeth

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Elisabeth,

Keep In mind that using Exact match keywords will boost your CPC bid as well as there will be a drop in the traffic.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There is another thing to bear in mind... bidding on competitor's names is quite a common practice. If you are a window cleaner in Birmingham, you can bet that other window cleaners are bidding on your name... after all, if someone is looking for a window cleaner, there are all kinds of reasons they might be tempted to click on your ad - maybe they know the other guy, but are not that happy with his service, but couldn't be bothered to look for an alternative - the devil you know... - or maybe they search for him but then see your ad and you have a compelling offer in the ad copy... or maybe they call his number and he doesn't pick up - or is on holiday, or can't fit them in until next week... all great reasons to then call you.

As pankah1782 points out Google look after us in terms of invalid clicks so this is not something which should worry you to the point of excluding what could be a good source of highly relevant traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Archit. Can you explain further? Why does exact match boost cpc bid? ...I am aware of the drop in traffic, but I cannot afford random clicks from people who are not searching for my service in particular.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Steve, Can you explain the sentence "Google look after us in terms of invalid clicks.."? If a private person is searching for a certain service, and checks out, what else is on the market, then I would not consider that as an invalid click. Even though this person has not targeted my advert, she has clicked on my website, too. This, I would assume, is not an invalid click but rather an unfortunate click.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Elisabeth A,

I will differ with Archi's opinion that exact match will boost your CPC bid or actual cost. Generally speaking if you use multiple match types for the same keyword, you would bid incrementally higher for the more restrictive match types to make sure they win in the local auction before being passed to the general auction, then everything starts over and only the exact match enters the auction where it competes on the basis of AdRank. It will not directly increase your CPC bid, you would have to do that yourself if you using manual bidding.

I would suggest you add the exact match keywords, rather than change the BMM keywords to exact, and add phrase match as well. Then watch your search terms reports, traffic, and conversion rates and see which actually does better. These need to be all running at the same time for your test to be valid. You can place them all in one ad group (easiest way to do it), or split them up by match type (more complicated).

I'm not sure I understand your concerns. Are you getting clicks from your competitors? Are you concerned about impressions on a search for your competitor won't generate a click and lower your CTR and QS?

Invalid clicks are generally your competitors clicking on your ad frequently enough to generate a predictable pattern, say multiple clicks on your ad in a short period of time. Google is pretty good about detecting and crediting your account for invalid clicks. What you describe I would not consider an invalid click and Google would not either.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Elisabeth,

Please find the references regarding "how match types effects CPC bidding".

Even you can try it practically, choose any keyword and use all the match types for the same keyword and use the same CPC bid for all the match types.
Now check what are the estimated bids for all these match types with the help of "estimated top page bid" attribute.
(you will find this attribute in the columns under keywords tab.)

Here are the references:
http://www.ppchero.com/find-your-optimal-cost-per-click/

http://blog.whitesharkmedia.com/how-match-types-can-help-adwords-profitability

I suggest you to re-research for more keywords to be used as exact match.
One best strategy is search term report. So far your might be using broad or modified broad, so you must have the data for those searches. Analyse to find highly relevant keywords which were searched by the users; and use them as your exact match keywords.

Regards