Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone, hope you're all well!

I know there's loads and loads of topics about Negative Keywords, but I'm still having difficulty in getting a satisfying answer, if I can put it that way...

So, my question about Negative Keywords is:

I have a Campaign structured with several Adgroups, and these Adgroups are Broadmatch Modifier, Exact and Phrase. Now, if I have the keyword [red football boots] in Exact Adgroup, and also "red football boots" in Phrase Adgroup, is it best practice to add the same keyword as negative in the Phrase Adgroup, but as Exact? And shall I do the same for Broadmatch Adgroup? Or will the Exact negative keyword actually block 2red football boots" in Phrase?

Apologies if it's complicated, I tried to simplify as much as possible.

Many thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Daniel

if you intend on using this campaign structure, then it would make sense to add [red football boots] as a negative to both the phrase and broad match modifier campaigns to prevent your keywords competing against each other.

Hope this helps

JT

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jack T,

Thanks for your reply!

Ok, so I should add [red football boots] as a negative in Broad match modifier and Phrase, even if both Adgropus have the same keyword, in their respective form?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel V,

You have the right idea. This gives you better control over which ad will show for a particular keyword and match type.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords