AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone, hope you're all well!

I know there's loads and loads of topics about Negative Keywords, but I'm still having difficulty in getting a satisfying answer, if I can put it that way...

So, my question about Negative Keywords is:

I have a Campaign structured with several Adgroups, and these Adgroups are Broadmatch Modifier, Exact and Phrase. Now, if I have the keyword [red football boots] in Exact Adgroup, and also "red football boots" in Phrase Adgroup, is it best practice to add the same keyword as negative in the Phrase Adgroup, but as Exact? And shall I do the same for Broadmatch Adgroup? Or will the Exact negative keyword actually block 2red football boots" in Phrase?

Apologies if it's complicated, I tried to simplify as much as possible.

Many thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Daniel

if you intend on using this campaign structure, then it would make sense to add [red football boots] as a negative to both the phrase and broad match modifier campaigns to prevent your keywords competing against each other.

Hope this helps

JT

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jack T,

Thanks for your reply!

Ok, so I should add [red football boots] as a negative in Broad match modifier and Phrase, even if both Adgropus have the same keyword, in their respective form?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel V,

You have the right idea. This gives you better control over which ad will show for a particular keyword and match type.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords