Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords: Broad vs Phrase Match Option

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am following the advice of an experienced AdWords advertiser, and he shared some of his negative keywords with me (same niche). For many of the negative keywords, he repeats a word, or phrase, with matching options Broad and Phrase. I understand a word configured as broad matching would include any phrase that contains the word, and I am wondering why would the experienced advertiser feel the need to repeat the word but with phrase matching configuration.

Could I get some insight on this?

Thank you

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Veronica C
June 2016

Re: Negative Keywords: Broad vs Phrase Match Option

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Veronica,

It sounds like - and I say this not knowing the exact kind of terms being used (the gents are right, it would help if you shared some) - your AdWords Advertiser perhaps entered in lots of terms and only changed a few to phrase/broad match. In AdWords Editor, for example, you'd enter in your terms and they'd automatically be added as broad match. If you tried adding others in there'd be an error because they already exist, but if he'd changed some to phrase match then there would be that error.

This happens to me sometimes when I roll out a long list of broad matches and change the odd one to phrase. When I look at my list of negatives to add at a later stage, I'll add them in again so I end up with phrase and broad - but I can't think how it would make too big a difference in most cases.

A little about negative matching:

Broad and Phrase match are useful for negative as they are for positives! However, within the same Ad Group things can get a bit confusing if both are used at the same level.

Let me use an online jam store as an example!

One campaign will be for strawberry and another for raspberry.

Strawberry Jam would have at the campaign level a broad match negative, raspberry.
Raspberry in turn would have at a campaign level a broad match negative, strawberry.

These would stop an ad for raspberry jam appearing when someone types in "buy strawberry jam online".

But maybe people are searching for jam jars and we don't want to be found with those kinds of searches - so our phrase match would be "jam jars" and our exact match [jam jars] so we're keeping the possible "jars of strawberry jam" while getting rid of those pesky jar shoppers who want to make their own.

Ali

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Veronica,

Better if you share a few of those negative keywords which have been used in both the match types, so that you can have best solution.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Veronica, pls list a few of them here, as Archit asked you to do.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Veronica C
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Veronica,

It sounds like - and I say this not knowing the exact kind of terms being used (the gents are right, it would help if you shared some) - your AdWords Advertiser perhaps entered in lots of terms and only changed a few to phrase/broad match. In AdWords Editor, for example, you'd enter in your terms and they'd automatically be added as broad match. If you tried adding others in there'd be an error because they already exist, but if he'd changed some to phrase match then there would be that error.

This happens to me sometimes when I roll out a long list of broad matches and change the odd one to phrase. When I look at my list of negatives to add at a later stage, I'll add them in again so I end up with phrase and broad - but I can't think how it would make too big a difference in most cases.

A little about negative matching:

Broad and Phrase match are useful for negative as they are for positives! However, within the same Ad Group things can get a bit confusing if both are used at the same level.

Let me use an online jam store as an example!

One campaign will be for strawberry and another for raspberry.

Strawberry Jam would have at the campaign level a broad match negative, raspberry.
Raspberry in turn would have at a campaign level a broad match negative, strawberry.

These would stop an ad for raspberry jam appearing when someone types in "buy strawberry jam online".

But maybe people are searching for jam jars and we don't want to be found with those kinds of searches - so our phrase match would be "jam jars" and our exact match [jam jars] so we're keeping the possible "jars of strawberry jam" while getting rid of those pesky jar shoppers who want to make their own.

Ali

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Broad negative keyword behave as if they were phrase match in any event... so for example, if you had a positive, broad match keyword (to steal Ali's example) of strawberry jam, your ads might trigger for someone searching for raspberry jam since Google considers them to be close variants - but this would not happen for negative broad match keywords - a broad negative of strawberry would not block a search for raspberry.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To respond to some of the request above these are some examples of what meant when I wrote "For many of the negative keywords, he repeats a word, or phrase, with matching options Broad and Phrase":

Example word: iphoto (broad match) "iphoto" (phrase match)
Example phrase: southern company (broad match) "southern company" (phrase match)

Thank you

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Veronica,

Thanks for this - I would say that he's probably added everything as negative broad then changed some, then seen some search queries again and added them in hence the duplication.

You wouldn't normally have to make a single term like iphoto a phrase match anyway, but the phrase match may help with close matches to iphoto such as photo.

Could you turn southern company and "southern company" into two broad match negatives? southern and company?

I think it's a case of approaching negatives in the context of the campaign which is something we're not familiar with - maybe you need to show ads for "company" and for "southern" but not "southern company" - we don't know...

Maybe you can clarify what you need to know exactly plus tell us about this industry the campaign's running in? Then we could give some tips.

Ali