AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keyword Implementation

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

How can we implement in the campaigns

Now I have this broad keyword "doctor software"

under this broad searches has 2000+searches we want to tap the potential ones

so I need to add negative keywords - do I need to add it at campaign level or ad group level for better effectiveness?

Does it have to have a - keyword or just put the keyword and save it under negative keyword list?

they say if someone searches for free acid dental softare and acid and free are my negative words then my ad wont display am I correct?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tokumaraditya
September 2015

Re: Negative Keyword Implementation

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Tokumaraditya,

You can add negative keywords at either the campaign or ad group level.  If you know that you'll never want to match for certain terms, I would suggest that you add them at the campaign level.  They work the same regardless of where you set them up.

No, you can just add the keywords on the negative lists, there is no need to add in the negative sign -, it is assumed.

In your example, you are correct.  I would suggest that you review this Wiki article and also these help articles before implementation.

Exclude keywords from your campaign

Use lists to exclude keywords from multiple campaigns

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

they say if someone searches for free acid dental softare and acid and free are my negative words then my ad wont display am I correct?

it depends which match type you had use as a negetive if broad or phrase than yes, if exact than no

so I need to add negative keywords - do I need to add it at campaign level or ad group level for better effectiveness?

It depends, if you want to keyword be negative just for one ad group you should put this at group level, if for  campaign than add this at campaign level

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tokumaraditya
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Tokumaraditya,

You can add negative keywords at either the campaign or ad group level.  If you know that you'll never want to match for certain terms, I would suggest that you add them at the campaign level.  They work the same regardless of where you set them up.

No, you can just add the keywords on the negative lists, there is no need to add in the negative sign -, it is assumed.

In your example, you are correct.  I would suggest that you review this Wiki article and also these help articles before implementation.

Exclude keywords from your campaign

Use lists to exclude keywords from multiple campaigns

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

How do I add negative words for match type.

I will have to do this [-free] if I have to consider the word free in the match type exact as negative and -free for broad and "-free" for phrase?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

The negative keyword will be -free for broad, -"free" for phrase and -[free] for exact. However, in both the AdWords Editor and the Interface, there is a separate section to add negative keywords. In this case you will not be required to put the '-' sign.

In the AdWords Editor, go to the Keywords tab, click on the 'Negatives' button and then on 'Add Negative Keyword' or 'Make Multiple Changes' as required. Then you can add in the keyword and select the match type.

In the Interface, in the 'Keywords' tab, scroll to the bottom and you can expand the 'Negative Keywords' link. You can then click on 'Add' and put in negative keywords as free, "free" or [free] as is your requirement.

- Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Tokumaraditya,

You got it!  If you're entering terms 1 at a time, you can actually select the negative match type after you enter the terms into your negative list.  I would suggest that you employ broad or phrase match for single terms such as free.  When you get into more complex terms, you will need to be a little more careful with the broad and phrase match as you do not want to exclude relevant search queries for your keywords. 

-Tom