AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Geographic Terms?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any way to make your ads not show for geographic terms? 

I'm working with an online shop, that is online ONLY. And we are showing up for terms such as 

keyword CITYNAME

cityname KEYWORD

keyword in CITYNAME

keyword near CITYNAME 

Is there anything I can do (other than creating a negative keyword list with all of these cities)

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: Negative Geographic Terms?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Google doesn't handle a list of geographic terms, so there is not any particular option to block geographic terms. So you could create a negative keyword list with all city you see. But my suggestion is to write ads highlighting the fact that your shop is online: so users will understand that, even if they wrote a geographic term for keyword.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Google doesn't handle a list of geographic terms, so there is not any particular option to block geographic terms. So you could create a negative keyword list with all city you see. But my suggestion is to write ads highlighting the fact that your shop is online: so users will understand that, even if they wrote a geographic term for keyword.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello swoodby; welcome to our community;

The level of geo targeting you can get, changes from country to country (due to technical reasons) .

To be helpful - Could you tell what country are you targeting?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies.. We are in the US

Thanks for the suggestion to about showing we are an online store in the ad..Sometimes these things slip my mind Smiley Happy

Re: Geo- targeting in the US

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again, swoodby;

In the US you can geo-target (by location) up to a zip code level. There is no need to work with city names as keywords. (unless in spacial cases.)

I would suggest to start with this Wiki article by Scott, (One of our Top Contributors - We are planning adding another wiki on targeting tomorrow.)

[edited] Reading your question again, you may need to exclude by intent .I think you'd better try first to include geo-target correctly, and only then, exclude. Let us know if you need further reading.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Before messing around with the location I would track down conversions to the keyword level and see how these keywords convert.

I will outline this on the example case of amazon.de

Case 1: User searches "amazon.de in New York" => Your ad apperas and the user converts

=> I would make specific ads, that tell the user that "amazon.de" ships to new york, and he should go visit the online

shop OR just leave broad match on, cause the match does not seem to be any harm for you.

Case 2: User searches for "amazon.de in New York" => Your ad appears and the user does NOT convert

=> In this case I would build a negative keyword list for location terms, cause the user seems to have a different intent, or maybe your buisness name is very similar to a offline buisness

If I ever have this problem in Germany I just include the 50 major cities in my negative list. The other cities can be safely neglected. Due to more cities in the US, this may be a bit different in the US, but you should be safe with the top 100 cities I guess 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi swoodby,

How about you set targeting not to incude search intent? I have no idea what this would do. I'm thinking/guessing it would ignore locations as part ot the query.

But that might not do much for broad and phrase match.

There are 2 problems here. First, you are getting impressions for people looking for brick and mortar shops AND you are getting clicks for the same people. If you include "Online" in your ad copy, you can reduce the number of clicks from unqualified prospects, but you will also get a lower CTR and a lower QS as a result.

If you have a group of exact matches that work well for you, that's great. Even with exact matches, a query with a geographic location would be eligible. Once you turn off "search intent" that will no longer happen. You might also want to try keywords with terms like online, web store, etc. So, now that your exact matches no longer pull clicks form wueries that include geographical terms, those keywords might be worth a higher bid.

Just a couple thoughts for you. I hope something works for you!

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
This would only be a partial solution and would also depend upon the search queries you're targeting, but you could think about adding negatives like:

-in
-at
-near
-on