AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Exact Match to Prevent EM vs BMM Battle?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Let's say cool red widgets is the most popular search among all of its possible variations (including those that contain extra words).

What I want to do is set [cool red widgets] as an EM keyword to match this popular search query exactly.

However, I also want to caputre all of it's lower-volume variations so I want to set +cool +red +widgets as BMM to achieve this instead of creating a long list of all of its possible variations (assume that there are a lot of lower-volume variations for this kw, including those that contain extra words).

Now, when people search cool red widgets I don't want my EM kw [cool red widgets] to compete against my BMM kw +cool +red +widgets.

I'm thinking about adding [cool red widgets] as a negative EM kw to the +cool +red +widgets adgroup to prevent this from happening.

I just want to make sure that I don't mess up my campaign so I ask, is this correct?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: Negative Exact Match to Prevent EM vs BMM Battle?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alex K,

That will work for you. Exact Match and BMM don't really compete. In most cases, the more restrictive match type wins the mini-auction, which decides which keywords enters the general auction. When the 2 match types are in different AdGroups, sometimes that doesn't work out. Adding the negative exact match type to the BMM group mitigates that problem

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: Negative Exact Match to Prevent EM vs BMM Battle?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alex K,

That will work for you. Exact Match and BMM don't really compete. In most cases, the more restrictive match type wins the mini-auction, which decides which keywords enters the general auction. When the 2 match types are in different AdGroups, sometimes that doesn't work out. Adding the negative exact match type to the BMM group mitigates that problem

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords