AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Conflict

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Seasonal Greetings.

For my own sanity can somebody please clarify something for me, 

I have the term [red nike shoes] if i have "blue shoes" on negative will the that block the exact query?

ta

Jonny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan W
September 2015

Re: Negative Conflict

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

Here when you use "Blue Shoes" in Negative match. it becomes Embedded Match. So it will not trigger the ads for any search term that has Blue Shoes in the same sequence.

So, if you write negative keyword as -"Blue Shoes", then the ads does not appear for search terms like:
Blue shoes in California
Buy Blue Shoes
Buy Blue Shoes Online
Blue Shoes Online.....

You can read more about this in this excellent article from one of our Top Contributors.
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Hope this Helps.
- Prashanth Reniguntala

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan W
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

Here when you use "Blue Shoes" in Negative match. it becomes Embedded Match. So it will not trigger the ads for any search term that has Blue Shoes in the same sequence.

So, if you write negative keyword as -"Blue Shoes", then the ads does not appear for search terms like:
Blue shoes in California
Buy Blue Shoes
Buy Blue Shoes Online
Blue Shoes Online.....

You can read more about this in this excellent article from one of our Top Contributors.
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Hope this Helps.
- Prashanth Reniguntala

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
exactly what i thought, i spent an hr arguing this with Google as my keyword is not serving and that was there only response. I just wanted to double check i hadn't lost it Smiley Happy