Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Need to test without actually advertising

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I set up a test manager account and a few test accounts attached to the manager account. This is eventually for the API.

But I want to be able to test certain things like how sitelinks show and place or the same for other site extensions.

So I was surprised that a test account needed credit card information. It supposedly doesn't actually advertise. Or that you can't see (or I couldn't figure out how to see) how to visualize the effects of certain changes. It seems you actually have to advertise to see how the ad goes out and if the position is high enough that the sitelinks show.

It would be very useful to do some simulations first, adjust and tweak in the Adwords environment and then commit.

Is this possible without actually sending out ads? I know it's complicated and a lot depends on the instantaneous competition, but, well, y'all are Google. Smiley Happy  Maybe 3 scenarios could be simulated?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there; 

There is now "simulator" (per-se) for online advertising. You actually have to set up a campaign, spend money, test performance in real environment and (at the beginning constantly)  optimize  "on the fly";

And the reason is that online advertising  is very dynamic,   and even "rocky" in certain verticals. Performances change constantly due to a variety of variables.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

David

If you want to "test certain things like how sitelinks show and place or the same for other site extensions." you can use the "Ad Preview Tool" https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/148778?hl=en.

If you want to compare the performance of ads, then I'm afraid that there's no other way except actually running them (and paying for the clicks)