2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Need to reclaim account created by SEM agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are just learning that the SEM agency we are using setup an account for our domain under an MCC or something like that.  Is there any way we can get control of our account and keep the past data?  We are hoping all our history does not get lost when we cancel their services.  Any ideas on whether an account transfer is possible?

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author apelandr
September 2015

Re: Need to reclaim account created by SEM agency

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there

It depends how the account was set up but the account should belong to you. Did you set up the account (add your billing details etc.)?

It is housed under an MCC  but this is just to make management of multiple accounts easier. The majority of the time accounts just move from one MCC to another when people move from agency to agency - this doesn't affect the account.

In adwords, under 'my account'  > 'account access' you will be able to see the logins with access to your account. At the bottom of the list you will see 'client managers'. This is effectively telling you whose MCC you are in.

When you terminate contract with the agency they will either cancel their access and 'unlink' your account from their MCC or you can go in and do it on this page.

When moving from an MCC no data will be lost.

• One thing to check and note is your billing details. Make sure that the billing details aren't associated to the MCC but are to the account. If they're not you could end up pausing your ads as you don't have any billing details.

Hopefully all the above makes sense.

Cheers

Kane

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Kane, 

This makes sense.  They created the account for us and to date we haven't had access to it.  I would assume the billing details are under them.  But you are suggesting that we should be able to transfer admin authority to our email address and then adjust the billing data to reflect us?  In effect, the account will be completely transferred then, correct?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Do you get a monthly invoice from them that includes your media spend?

I'd check your contract with them as there maybe something in the small print that says the account is owned by them as it has their intellectual property in it.

Ideally you'll be able to set up your own payment details, unlink the account and bob's your uncle.

I'd check through your contract, then when you're ready to serve notice speak with them about the transition. Hopefully they'll help with your exit - if not, that's what the Adwords Community will be able to further help with.

Cheers

Kane

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi apelandr,

In addition to what Kane said above, I would to add that it is possible for MCC account holder agency to create an account for their client and it depends whether they would like to give access to that Adwords account to somebody else or not. See this for more details.

Honestly it becomes their duty to add your email address (besing the client) as an administrator and if the contract is terminated then either they should unlink their access to your account or being the administrator, you terminate their access in order to have the full control over your account.

You said: They created the account for us and to date we haven't had access to it.

This is really sad because the whole sole authority of the Adwords account is you. Being the client, it was your duty to ask them for access to the account and see how they were actually doing in terms of providing business to you.

I would encourage you to get in touch with that agency and ask for your account information if possible. They are ones who could actually tell if the account is still there or they cancelled that.

In case, you have any clues about some of your Company email address being attached with that account, you can contact Adwords support to claim for that account.

Hope that may be of help!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi apelandr

If you provide your SEM agency with an email they can invite you as an administrator to the account hence giving you access to the account with all the data in it. From there you should be able to unlink the account from their MCC thereby 'transferring' the account to you. From there you can update the billing information.

But as Kane correctly pointed out, you better check with your contract. For future purposes always make sure that you have access to the AdWords account so you can follow how the money are spend, so you only are paying for what you should be paying for. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is their response.  I'm not sure what type of account they are referring to, but if they can give us read access, then I suppose it could be transferred....  These guys are supposed to be a top Google partner.

---

Thank you for your email. I’m afraid we will not be able to transfer the ownership of account to you as your adwords account is created on our master account.

What we can do is to send you the read access invitation as spoken to lizhen over the phone just now. Basically in read access, you will be able to see the whole of the campaign structure in terms of the different ad groups, ad copies and keyword strategy.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Sound like you can look but you can't touch Smiley Happy

I don't know if you will be successful in getting ownership of that account.

Ask them this....do you have your own unique customer identification number (CID)?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

It dosen't sound like they want to give it up as Kim's says.

Some agencies have 1 account with 1 campaign for each of their clients why these can't be transferred as you would get other companies setups as well. But if they have structured in this way, giving you read access would mean you can see the other clients adwords performance as well, which would be weird. But if they are running a account for each client you should be able to have it transferred.

If they only give you read access I recommend downloading keyword and campaign reports so you have the data in excel sheets. In the case you dont get the account you can then bulk upload these into a new account which you create.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They are providing many of the standard reports in PDF format.  We want to get access to all the reporting and analytics and it sounds like we should be able to wrest control of the account back.  I agree if we can get read access, then it should be a separable account.  

Thank you all of your timely responses.  My first experience of the community is very positive.