5.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Need help with setting up ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to Adwords and would appreciate some help.

I want to set up an ad for a specific keyword. The keyword is the phrase "how to speed up your computer" and the URL is http://www.outertech.com/en/how-to-speed-up-your-computer.

With organic Google search we are currently at position #11 (were #5-7 before last google update) with this quite competitive phrase, so I think  the google search engine considers our page has good content.

If I now set up an Adwords ad, set the keyword to [how to speed up your computer] and activate the ad I get the error message that the ad is not displayed, because of a low quality score of 2/10.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Need help with setting up ad

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Outertech,

Fair enough. I was suggesting that perhaps folks may not exactly be searching for "how to speed up your computer" I would search for "how to speed up MY computer" for instance.  Keyword variations should not affect you efforts negatively.

That aside, the QS, among other things, is a reflection of Google's relevancy rating of your keyword to your ads and landing page. 

Here is a short list of items taken into account with QS:

• Your keyword's past clickthrough rate (CTR): How often that keyword led to clicks on your ad
  • Your display URL's past CTR: How often you received clicks with your display URL
  • Your account history: The overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account
  • The quality of your landing page: How relevant, transparent, and easy-to-navigate your page is
  • Your keyword/ad relevance: How relevant your keyword is to your ads
  • Your keyword/search relevance: How relevant your keyword is to what a customer searches for
  • Geographic performance: How successful your account has been in the regions you're targeting
  • Your ad's performance on a site: How well your ad's been doing on this and similar sites (if you're targeting the Display Network)

You may also find these couple of threads about QS interesting.

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-sauce/m-p/...

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Recipe-to-making-the-perfect-Quality-Score-...

This is where you should focus your efforts.  You'll have to try and tweak your ads and landing page in an attempt to increase your QS so your ads will run.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Outertech,

My guess is that you'll find that the chances of someone searching "how to speed up your computer" quite rare and therefore could also result in a low search volume message.

Perhaps you can try some variations of this phrase in some different keyword match types and then narrow down your keywords and/or add in more relevant keywords as time progresses.

maybe you can try some keywords like these:

improve computer performance

speed up computer

increase computer speed

I think you can see where I'm headed here, shorter phrases, modified broad match along with some phrase match will aide you in setting up a more elaborate keyword list and help get your campaign off the ground.

You can use the Keyword Tool to find some suggestions and Insights for Search to see what the traffic estimates look like.

As a side note, I notice that you're offering software for download.  Please be advised that there are very specific Adwords policies that you will need to follow.  You can find more about the policy here.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is definitely not a low search volume problem, as in such a case a "low volume" warning is given (I had this with some other keywords). I know there are 1000 other keywords related (I use them in other campaigns), but I need to use this one (it has a search volume of above 10000 per month).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Outertech,

Fair enough. I was suggesting that perhaps folks may not exactly be searching for "how to speed up your computer" I would search for "how to speed up MY computer" for instance.  Keyword variations should not affect you efforts negatively.

That aside, the QS, among other things, is a reflection of Google's relevancy rating of your keyword to your ads and landing page. 

Here is a short list of items taken into account with QS:

• Your keyword's past clickthrough rate (CTR): How often that keyword led to clicks on your ad
  • Your display URL's past CTR: How often you received clicks with your display URL
  • Your account history: The overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account
  • The quality of your landing page: How relevant, transparent, and easy-to-navigate your page is
  • Your keyword/ad relevance: How relevant your keyword is to your ads
  • Your keyword/search relevance: How relevant your keyword is to what a customer searches for
  • Geographic performance: How successful your account has been in the regions you're targeting
  • Your ad's performance on a site: How well your ad's been doing on this and similar sites (if you're targeting the Display Network)

You may also find these couple of threads about QS interesting.

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-sauce/m-p/...

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Recipe-to-making-the-perfect-Quality-Score-...

This is where you should focus your efforts.  You'll have to try and tweak your ads and landing page in an attempt to increase your QS so your ads will run.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
PPCBossman wrote: Fair enough. I was suggesting that perhaps folks may not exactly be searching for "how to speed up your computer" I would search for "how to speed up MY computer" for instance.
Yes, that sounds reasonable, but the Adwords keywords tool shows 22.000 global searches for "your" and only 4.400 for "my"!
Keyword variations should not affect you efforts negatively.
Im my experience they do. Since going to exact phrases the CPC costs went down by 50%.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Outertech,

Honestly, I didn't even check the search volumes myself before posting, it was a suggestion and a reflection of my personal search habits.  But since you mentioned it I decided to take a look and found very different data than you did.

General Keyword Tool Settings - US - English - Desktop

"Speed up your computer" (With quotes)
40,500 - Global Searches

"Speed up my computer" (With quotes)
110,000 - Global Searches

What was really interesting (and I found this keyword by using Insights for Search) was "speed up pc" listed 550,000 global monthly searches...more food for thought for you.
These are all estimate tools after all and will not really reflect directly in a campaign.  But they're not bad for research and comparison.

On to the second mention.

I actually think you interpreted what I wrote differently than intended, perhaps I could have worded it a little better.  Please allow me to elaborate. As I was suggesting that perhaps you could add in some alternative but related keywords, that is when I wrote "Keyword variations should not affect your efforts negatively". Your "efforts" being whatever you decide to work on in order to get your ad to deliver.  Adding in some keyword variations may not be what you prefer to do but it could get you a better QS, and maybe the ad will start getting some/more impressions.

Since you mention Keyword Match Types...In relation to QS which is one of the areas you are having some issues with,
Keyword match type variations do not directly affect your QS.

And, I can only agree with your final statement 100%.  Match types most definitely have a huge effect on overall account performance.

Were you able to get your ads running or the QS message to disappear?

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bossman,

unfortunately putting quotes around the keywords does not make them a phrase in common sense, but only in Adwords sense. It was a lesson hard learned and we've lost quite a lot of money because of it.

If you want to search for the wording of how to speed up your computer you have to use it either as [how to speed up your computer] or click on the [exact] checkbox instead of the "phrase" checkbox. This way you get 22.000 global results for it.

I know "speed up pc" has a very high search volume, but this keyword is extremely expensive and auctioning for it will make you poor very quickly or deliver 0 clicks due to low position.

At this moment I still have the error message and still don't understand why a page which has good organic results for Google.com is not accepted on the same keyword for Adwords (it should be the exactly other way around, organic clicks should be harder to achieve that giving Google free money!). I'll make more tests in the next 2-3 days.

Thanks for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've made one more test by adding the my keyword, and this is getting even weirder.

As I wrote before the landing page (http://www.outertech.com/en/how-to-speed-up-your-computer) is optimized for the your keyword with tons of quality links to it (our software is available since 13 years on that domain).

Organic search positions:

how to speed up your computer #11

how to speed up my computer #36

Adwords keyword rating:

how to speed up your computer 1/10 (was 2/10 yesterday, it changed to 1/10 today without me changing anything on the page), ad is not showing with the explanation that the landing page is unrelated to the keyword

how to speed up my computer 3/10 ad is showing with the explanation that the content is average for that keyword (the phrase how to speed up my computer is not present on our page!!)

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Outertech,

As weird as this all seems to be, Organic rankings and Adwords QS have no relation (organic rankings do not boost ad campaigns), although I can see how your findings are quite strange there are different engines at work here.

That is why it is important to explore all of your options with Adwords and not put all your 'eggs in one basket'.  Search Intent is understood quite well by Google and if I'm looking for a way to speed up my computer, in respect to ads, the exact verbiage (your/my) of the landing pages may not matter as much as the overall content of the site, which as you pointed out is ranked quite well overall.

This is a very interesting situation but I think if you continue to explore, you'll find the right direction that will work for you.

-Tom