4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Need help on + Sign for Broad Modifier Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running campaign for printing website and not clear about Broad Match Modifier that how it works.

If i have keyword in Broad Match Modifier like +Pocket +Folders.

Would my ad show against the query that has only pocket word in it or both.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle S
September 2015

Re: Need help on + Sign for Broad Modifier Match

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI Michelle S

Welcome to the AdWords community :-)

Both of the words would have to be included in the query, +pocket and +folders. There is an excellent example of how this works in the certification help center https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/2497836?hl=en&ref_topic=2799762

"You can add a modifier, the plus sign on your keyboard (+), to any of the terms that are part of your broad match keyword phrase. By adding a modifier, your ads can only show when someone's search contains those modified terms, or close variations of the modified terms, in any order. The modifier won't work with phrase match or exact match keywords.

Unlike broad match keywords, modified broad match keywords won't show your ad for synonyms or related searches. For this reason, it adds an additional level of control. Using broad match modifier is a good choice if you want to increase relevancy even if it means you might get less ad traffic than broad match."

Example

Broad match modifier Ads may show on searches for Ads won't show on searches for

+women's +hatswomen's hats
buy women's hats
Hats for women
helmets for women
women's visors

I hope this helps to clarify

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle S
September 2015

Re: Need help on + Sign for Broad Modifier Match

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI Michelle S

Welcome to the AdWords community :-)

Both of the words would have to be included in the query, +pocket and +folders. There is an excellent example of how this works in the certification help center https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/2497836?hl=en&ref_topic=2799762

"You can add a modifier, the plus sign on your keyboard (+), to any of the terms that are part of your broad match keyword phrase. By adding a modifier, your ads can only show when someone's search contains those modified terms, or close variations of the modified terms, in any order. The modifier won't work with phrase match or exact match keywords.

Unlike broad match keywords, modified broad match keywords won't show your ad for synonyms or related searches. For this reason, it adds an additional level of control. Using broad match modifier is a good choice if you want to increase relevancy even if it means you might get less ad traffic than broad match."

Example

Broad match modifier Ads may show on searches for Ads won't show on searches for

+women's +hatswomen's hats
buy women's hats
Hats for women
helmets for women
women's visors

I hope this helps to clarify