Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Need Your Views

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I noticed that in the Multi channel funnel in Analytics there are many Paid assisted conversions...does it make any sense if i tell my client that although you got more conversions via orgranic and direct etc but these conversions were assisted by Paid Adwords keywords....

Frank

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need Your Views

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Frank,

The important thing about these reports is precisely how they demonstrate that paid visits can often contribute to a conversion path.

If yours is a product or service which tends to be bought after a number of visits - rather than, perhaps a low cost high volume ecommerce product which is generally bought on a first visit - then the contribution of these visits can be substantial as a client who perhaps searched a few days ago and found you organically, is then reminded through a remarketing or a search ad...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Franklin J
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, it's definitely a good idea to have your clients understand that paid advertising (or any type) tends to produce results from "indirect" routes, not just directly through an Ad click.  I find the Search Funnels report to be quite graphically compelling and often use it to show to clients how convoluted the path to a conversion can actually be.

However, make sure you get your facts straight.  AdWords and Analytics track conversions over different time periods (AdWords only tracks for 30 days) and the whole thing can get very messy when you have organic first clicks, paid first clicks, etc.  I usually like to stick to general principles when talking to clients or they just start asking awkward questions.

About Conversion Tracking

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon/Steve,

Thanks for your views!

I have some more questions as follows.

I have 2 campaigns a] Search Network and b] Re-marketing

Usually i get Avg 30 - 35 conversions within a month from Search Network campaign (without Help of Display Re-marketing). just to let you know, I launched the Re-marketing campaign few months (2 -3) back.

Now please go through the data given below:

Last month's (April) data for search Network campaign - 38 conversions per click

Remarketing campaign data - 7 conversions per click and 35 View through conversions

Now here is what i want to know.

1] Are these 7 conversions included in 35 conversions? ( I know that Google counts both if a users clicks and view on Display network it will be shown in Con per click and in View through as well) Still want to confirm? Any more info on this will be helpful.

2]  Regarding 38 conversions from Search Network...are these 35 view through conversions part of paid Search Network conversions ?? ( My personal views i don't think this is the case because i was already getting these number of conversions without Re-marketing campaign.)

3] How/where in Analytics i can see the exact data of these 35 view through conversions..like after watching a Ad on Display Network how they got converted whether they converted via direct,organic etc..

4] Any things else i should know with reference to my points mentioned above.

Frank

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, now you're the one asking awkward questions!  I'll do my best:

1)  Are the 7 conversions in the 35?  Maybe.  It depends on the Advanced settings you've chosen for the conversion tracking.  There's a checkbox with the easy title of "View-through conversion search de-duplication" which, if disabled counts view-through conversions both as a view-through and as a click, in which case the 7 would be in the 35.  If this setting is "enabled" then the 7 won't be in the 35 - they'll be separate conversions.

2)  Are the 35 part of the 38.  No, not if you're viewing the data correctly.  Conversions - view through or otherwise - should always be associated with their relevant Campaigns.  So if you see 35 view through conversions in your Remarketing Campaign, it's that Campaign that produced the conversions.

Can you not see a total number of conversions in the Campaigns tab view?  Or is this part of the question?

3)  Not sure I understand your question here but it sounds like you want to head down to Conversions -> Multi-Channel Funnels then choose options there, probably starting with Top Conversion Paths or Assisted Conversions.

4)  Only to repeat what I said previously, that it can get terribly messy down there so make sure you're looking at the right things and interpreting the data correctly, it can be very difficult.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

There are a couple of points I'd like to drop in again....

First - Jon is right - it gets very messy and it can be confusing to untangle the attributions when looking at VTC. A lot of people, myself included, question the value of VTC's - it often seems like Google looking to get credit where credit might not really be due - after all the more conversions they can report the better....

but - and this takes us right back to the beginning of the discussion - is this something that you should make your boss aware of... and I think the answer is still yes.

However, do you make her aware of the VTC numbers or do you look at the Assisted conversions - my preference here is the Assisted conversion - because it is just that - there was a visit that came from a click on an AdWords ad at some point during the "build up" to conversion.

This differs significantly from the VTC - which is a much looser relationship - it simply means that a visitor who later converted from some other source, was exposed to your ad on the display network at some point.... They don't need to click on the ad (which is loose enough) but what's more they don't even need to see it!

So how does that work? Imagine you visit a news portal... these tend to be very  long pages with a lot of information below the fold (i.e. you have to scroll down - sometimes a long way - to see it....)

If your display ad is lower down on the page a visitor is still labelled as having seen the ad - even though they may have read the headline and clicked off the site with absolutely no idea that your ad was lurking below... if they later find your page and convert through some other means the display ad gets a VTC - hardly seems fair, does it.

You might not want to even mention that to your boss!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

hmmmmm....

Thanks for the first point...

Regarding 2nd point. i think it all got messed up let me share you some more info. I have 2 campaigns for same services one for search and second for Display re-marketing. Re-marketing campaign produced 35 view through con and 7 conversion per clicks..

Is it like when a user see a display ad and later gets converted by clicking on ad. This type of conversions will be recorded under conversions per click in Re-marketing campaign only and not in my Search campaign???

Regarding 3rd point i know this metrics in Analytics...what i meant was how can i know how a person converted after he just viewed my display ad...if the user has not clicked the ad then how the analytics will show the paid assisted conversions...??? i hope you get what m trying to say..

Sorry if m bothering you too much..Smiley Sad I think may be i am not good enough for Adwords Smiley Sad

Frank

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Not a problem - it's actually a really interesting discussion (which probably says a lot about me!)

As far as I know - and I'd like confirmation from Jon and/or others on this.... An assisted conversion only happens if there was an actual visit from a source.

A VTC happens without a visit, that's the whole point - essentially a conversion happens - and AdWords suddenly shouts out - "Hey, they saw one of my ads a while back so I'm claiming credit for that one too!" AdWords can do this because they know about the impressions as well as the clicks - Google Analytics only knows about the clicks....

If I were email or a referral site I'd hate AdWords for that.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon,

Can you please shed some info based on my last post in this thread...

Frank