Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Need Adwords help with Keyword Insertion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - 

Let me start by describing what I'm trying to achieve. I have a large website with several hundreds of thousands of keywords (B2B wholesale website). I want an easy way to run Ads with broad match on keywords but I also want to take users to a relevant search results page on my website showing search results of the product searched.

e.g. I would want my Ads to trigger whenever someone searches "+ supplier". Then I want the user to see his searched term on the Ad copy to make it relevant and personalized for him. And then finally, I want to set the destination url in such a way that it becomes - www.mysite.com/search_result?keyword="the product being searched minus the work supplier".

More detail - if the user searched google for "rice suppliers" I want my Ad to trigger and it will as I have setup broad search for "+ suppliers". Then I want the user to see "Find Rice Suppliers and Manufacturers" in the Ad copy. And then, I want my destination url to become www.mysite.com/search_result?keyword=rice

I know I'm probably asking for the moon, but can someone please let me know whats out there to either get to what I described above or at least near it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sunandan G
April 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Google does not allow usage of the user's search query in the destination URL as you have described (unless the ad was triggered on a keyword that exactly matches the search query). Your best bet is to frequently add searches from the "Search terms" reports as exact match keywords in your account. This will allow you to put the keyword in the URL and land them on the correct search results page.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sunandan G
April 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Google does not allow usage of the user's search query in the destination URL as you have described (unless the ad was triggered on a keyword that exactly matches the search query). Your best bet is to frequently add searches from the "Search terms" reports as exact match keywords in your account. This will allow you to put the keyword in the URL and land them on the correct search results page.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi -

Thanks for your quick response. Whats the rationale behind not supporting this use case?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Google stated that it was primarily due to user privacy, however it also requires third party tools to use the AdWords API as opposed to scraping URLs.

Here is an article from Search Engine Journal regarding this feature change: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/search-query-data-adwords-isnt-dead-heres-actually-changed/10080...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looks like this might be the closest alternative.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3249700

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

In my experience those ad types (DSAs) will not drive to search results pages. The solution that I implied in a previous post was to shift traffic away from broad match keywords to exact match keywords. I recommend this because you can the use the exact match keywords in your destination URL which is ideal because they will closely match the user's search query.