2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

NO Ads showing when using the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, have searched the forums but couldn't find a definitive answer, I was wondering if anyone could help?

When using the Ad Preview tool, running a search for 'alarm installer' and using area Glasgow, there are NO ads shown, never mind our ads. If I do the same search in Google, ads appear OK. This is the case for several searches I've tried (including different areas, e.g. London, and different keywords, e.g. CCTV installer).

This happens whether I'm signed in or not. I'm in Glasgow, so can't be location specific. I've tried refreshing several times over several days. I've tried 2 different Adwords accounts. I've tried multiple instances of Chrome.

I know the Google organic results are personalised, but I don't see why the preview tool would show no ads and Google search would show all 4 (surely it would be other way about if it was related to personalised results?). I'd understand it if BOTH showed no ads, meaning that there just weren't any running due to budget, time of day or whatever. It's almost like the Ad Preview tool is showing me personalised results, when it's purpose is the exact opposite.

This query is not about why my specific ads aren't showing, but why the Ad Preview tool shows no ad results, from anyone, when the same Google organic search always shows the normal 4 ads. It shows the map and organic results OK, so the tool itself is working OK.

A 3rd party company manages our PPC, so I don't have access to the account or ad configuration. However as I was saying above, this isn't about our specific ads.

Hopefully I'm just being an idiot and it's just a setting somewhere that needs changed!

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: NO Ads showing when using the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Labb D,

Just dropping in to assure you of your sanity. The tool brings up 3 results for me for Glasgow on google.com.

Capture0jun01a.JPG

"It's almost like the Ad Preview tool is showing me personalised results, when it's purpose is the exact opposite."

Negative, that's not correct. The purpose of the Ad Preview tool is showing me the personalized results I would see if the location of the device was Glasgow. (In fact, it is the continent.)

I have no likely clue why you cannot see the ads in the tool while Google Search displays them to you. That's perhaps some limited and temporary glitch.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Lakatos, I've just run the search again and still no ads! The only thing I'm doing different from you is I've selected google.co.uk and not .com (as it's Glasgow in Scotland, sorry should have mentioned that in original post).

Here's a screenshot using the preview tool - no ads, just shows map pack and then organic below that -

Google AdWords.jpg

Here's the organic search, so there are definitely ads being served -

Google Search.jpg

Very strange! I'm definitely leaning towards a glitch as you've stated, and (hopefully) not something I'm doing. The fact that it seems to work for .com and not .co.uk points to that too. I think the next step is I'll contact our PPC company (one of the largest in UK, so they would know if there are problems) and see what they are seeing.

I really appreciate you getting back to me, thanks again!

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

You can't rely on any of the preview or estimate tools as your only source of information. They can help give you some additional insight on some things, sometimes. And, sometimes they are a complete lie. Smiley Happy

What you see doesn't have anything to do with the actual performance of the account. You are either accruing impressions for that term, or you are not. 

Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This is interesting.... I will check later.

Try to clear cache (not cookies)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for having a look @tomhalejr and @MosheTLV - tried again today, same result. Cleared cache, same result!

I've not been managing any accounts recently, but I do know that a couple of years ago when I last handled someone's account, the results were as expected (i.e. ads displayed OK). So was hoping that there was just some simple explanation like a new setting had been introduced recently that I was unaware of.

Tried other search terms too - 'plumber' and 'tv aerial repair'. Both do come back with ad results in the preview tool, but still a bit strange as the Google search brings back more results than the ad preview tool does.

Haven't even got as far as seeing how our own ads are appearing, as I can't get any ads to appear at all! It would be a real shame if the preview tool itself was at fault - if it's not giving consistent results then it's completely worthless. The only other way to do it is try an anonymised organic search, but that would then start racking up impressions?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Labb D,

'The only other way to do it is try an anonymised organic search, but that would then start racking up impressions?'

I agree very much with @tomhalejr and am looking forward to what @MosheTLV may want to add. Actually while I appreciate your frustration you are advised to try to look at the bright side of life; the world we are resident of is not 100% perfect, however, there is no replacement. Customize that wisdom to the tool on the agenda.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Lakatos, I always look on the bright side but unfortunately that doesn't help me when my CEO asks why he can't see his ads (or any ads) after spending £20k+ on Google adverts every month Smiley Happy

Would just be nice to have some sort of explanation for this behaviour, even if it's just to tell him 'don't rely on the tool, it's inaccurate'. And I'm sure I can't be the only person having this problem either (or maybe I am!?).

I really appreciate everyone's help on this, thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond!

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

That's why there is no substitute for experience. Smiley Happy

You learn how to explain these things over time. You learn how to do, what you do, the way you do it... Smiley Happy

Maybe some free tutoring wouldn't be a bad thing? Smiley Happy If only there were someone of incredible experience, located in the UK, who was actively offering to help...

Tom

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Ok. I ran the search term several times in various combinations.

On mobile:  ads always were shown.

On desktop: I  had 3 instances in which the ads were shown and 2 in which ads were NOT shown, as in @Labb D's question.

While searching in incognito, I also had an instance of no ads, and one with ads 

I assume the reason that this query is not much searched (by users)  and Google gives  an "advantage" / preference  to local ads (the "map" version)  on desktop.

Here is one of the screenshots (with ads)  using the ad preview,  and  screenshots using an  incognito search that shows results  with ads and with no ads

alarm installer Glasgow targeting  ads+ map.jpegalarm installer Glasgow targeting No ads.jpegalarm installer Glasgow targeting.jpeg

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’