AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

NEW Keyword Research - #QUICK TIP#

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Afternoon AdWords Users!

No doubt some of you do this already but I thought I’d share it with everyone in case someone else finds it helpful Smiley Happy

Here’s a quick overview of how I hunt down some of my keywords / negative keywords using Google’s predictive search tool when building a new campaign.

-When you’re looking for the keywords that precede a phrase such as “nurse jobs” try putting a space before the phrase in a Google search.

I’m advertising for care home nurses so “dental”, “school”, “vet” and “travel” are all great negatives.

1.png

-Also try searching variants/stemmings of words – Here I’ve found “types of” “international” “highest paying” “forensic”

2.png                             

-Another way that I find my negatives is to append letters A to Z to the end of my phrase, or a common word such as “for” or “in”.

3.png

4.png

Anyway – Hope that’s helpful!

All the best,

Spike

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: NEW Keyword Research - #QUICK TIP#

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

These are very good methods to find out possible words before and after your phrase keyword and I would only add that there is also a way to discover words in between by using an underscore in the second or third word.

So first type "nurse jobs" hit enter, than in the search box add an _ to the jobs word like this "nurse _jobs" and you will get some interesting variants of phrases with words between nurse and jobs.

discover-keywords-with-underscore.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
That's an excellent addition Adrian, definitely star worthy!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Fellas,

I've always used predictive search / auto-complete (whatever they call it now) as part of my KW research and these little tweaks to that process are great!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great article here.

@Adrian - your method is something I have not yet come across. Thanks for sharing it with us. It should help us reduce time on KW research

Apart from all of these methods, I also try and use the suggested searches that show up at the bottom of the SERP once you have searched for a KW. You can pick up a mixed lot of potential & negative keywords which can be helpful to your campaigns.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Even I use Google suggested searches in the search bar and related searches that appears in the bottom. These are some great tips shared by both of you. Thank you Spike & Adrian!

Much Appreciated!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Excellent Quick Tips. Thank you Spike and Adrian for sharing your knowledge with this Community.