Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

NEW Keyword Research - #QUICK TIP#

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Afternoon AdWords Users!

No doubt some of you do this already but I thought I’d share it with everyone in case someone else finds it helpful Smiley Happy

Here’s a quick overview of how I hunt down some of my keywords / negative keywords using Google’s predictive search tool when building a new campaign.

-When you’re looking for the keywords that precede a phrase such as “nurse jobs” try putting a space before the phrase in a Google search.

I’m advertising for care home nurses so “dental”, “school”, “vet” and “travel” are all great negatives.

1.png

-Also try searching variants/stemmings of words – Here I’ve found “types of” “international” “highest paying” “forensic”

2.png                             

-Another way that I find my negatives is to append letters A to Z to the end of my phrase, or a common word such as “for” or “in”.

3.png

4.png

Anyway – Hope that’s helpful!

All the best,

Spike

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: NEW Keyword Research - #QUICK TIP#

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

These are very good methods to find out possible words before and after your phrase keyword and I would only add that there is also a way to discover words in between by using an underscore in the second or third word.

So first type "nurse jobs" hit enter, than in the search box add an _ to the jobs word like this "nurse _jobs" and you will get some interesting variants of phrases with words between nurse and jobs.

discover-keywords-with-underscore.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
That's an excellent addition Adrian, definitely star worthy!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Fellas,

I've always used predictive search / auto-complete (whatever they call it now) as part of my KW research and these little tweaks to that process are great!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great article here.

@Adrian - your method is something I have not yet come across. Thanks for sharing it with us. It should help us reduce time on KW research

Apart from all of these methods, I also try and use the suggested searches that show up at the bottom of the SERP once you have searched for a KW. You can pick up a mixed lot of potential & negative keywords which can be helpful to your campaigns.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Even I use Google suggested searches in the search bar and related searches that appears in the bottom. These are some great tips shared by both of you. Thank you Spike & Adrian!

Much Appreciated!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Excellent Quick Tips. Thank you Spike and Adrian for sharing your knowledge with this Community.