AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

My website is available from the USA only. Is this a problem?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website that is geo restricted to US only visitors. 

A customer told me that Google ADwords now requires all websites using Adwords be available for viewing globally.  

What's the point, I manage a website for a local fishing boat, I will never get any International visitors to my site, nor will I accept Ccards and reservations from overseas anywhere.... WHY would I allow, and pay bandwidth usages,  all this extra traffic to my website when its never going to be beneficial to my site and business.  

Is this true, does Adwords REQUIRE websites to be available for view globally? 

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Re: My website is available from the USA only. Is this a problem?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Shanee_Kirk,

This comes up about every 3-4 months around here.

You can read this, which touches on it.

Ads are disapproved for “Site not working”...

... your website should be globally accessible, so anyone trying to visit the website can access it. Users should be able to access a website irrespective of location thus providing a consistent and world-class consumer experience.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Glenn,

Google servers are located all over the world and so your website does need to be accessible to any and all. When the Google AdBot attempts to crawl your website from their server in the U.K., your website will be blocked and your ads will be suspended and then your account will be suspended. 

If you use Google AdWords, your landing page must be accessible for all locations, regardless of where you're targeting your ad.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This is one that I've not personally heard of yet.  I can't find any documentation on it!  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Re: My website is available from the USA only. Is this a problem?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Shanee_Kirk,

This comes up about every 3-4 months around here.

You can read this, which touches on it.

Ads are disapproved for “Site not working”...

... your website should be globally accessible, so anyone trying to visit the website can access it. Users should be able to access a website irrespective of location thus providing a consistent and world-class consumer experience.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

That's so strange.  Also for the pages that are "orphaned" and not meant to be indexed by the search engines.  I'm pretty sure we have several like that running.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Shanee_Kirk,

When they are crawled by a Google AdBot, the ads will be disabled... and the accounts can be suspended.

We have helped countless advertisers here in the community with disabled ads from WordPress plugins blocking access from certain countries, web hosting companies limiting access by location and other situations like this. 

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Consider how much the international visitors actually cost you in bandwidth, versus the benefit of using AdWords. 

For most small businesses a $10/month hosting account will be sufficient and cover all bandwidth costs.

The other option is to build a landing page just for AdWords - these often convert better - and give it its own domain name.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I dont care about a world class consumer experience.. that's carp......  I get it, bandwidth is cheap, so use a $10 hosting site.... as someone mentioned below.....  B/W..No that's not all.........  every one of the hack attempts are from other countries.... period. 

Yes,  I know that the bad guys can proxy over, take over a server here and attack me, from a US IP, but doing "some restriction" from geo ip reduces the overall radiation! --I get 0000's of less hits from people trying to get to /wp-login.php .... blocking russia/china/mainland asia has a huge effect....  please deny that.... you can't ... 

I'm a simple fisherman with a fishing boat on the water, .... I use adwords to drive my business, I don't want overseas clients. 

I can't take clients from overseas, etc....   

It's like saying the local hot dog stand needs to be available worldwide for a better experience... bunk... 

Guys just think for a moment here.... he has a point...  

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Glenn,

We are not Google and we do not set the guidelines or create the polices. 

Also, blocking a country does not make your website any safer. If you use a very complex password to protect your WP Admin account... you will be safe.... yet blocking IPs is outdated and not effective.

Please understand that if you wish to use AdWords, you will have to master what they want or your account will be suspended. Non one here can do anything more. 

Sorry, this is not ideal.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Hi Glenn,

There are numerous plugins that can help with site security. You just happen to use one that doesn't fit well with AdWords.

Look into changing your WordPress login URL. Simple to achieve, very effective. 

https://www.shoutmeloud.com/how-to-change-wordpress-admin-login-url.html