1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

My ads aren't showing up with zero competition and zero advertisers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all. So I'm encountering a strange problem. I'm targeting a vertical of a market of my products and when i do a search query i don't my ads showing up at all. I'm placing bids of $0.30 cpc and I get like 0 impressions. 

For example:

I added broad keywords like 

ernest hemingway

[AUTHOR NAME] twitter = 

[ernest hemingway twitter]

I see a large broad monthly search volume of 100,000 for that author per say. But then i bid on the ad for $0.30 and no other competitors are bidding for that word, yet I don't see my ad showing up at all. I'm so confused. Can someone shed some light as to why my ads aren't showing up? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My ads aren't showing up with zero competition and zero advertiser

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Hung,

There is a 'minimum' quality requirement for every keyword/ad/landing page combination to become 'eligible' to enter an auction and appear in search results.

What is your keyword quality score?

The keyword you are using may have high search volume, but if your ad and landing page is not offering any substantial information or benefit to someone who visit your site, your ad will not be eligible to appear in search results irrespective of the competition for that keyword.

You can find more about Quality score in the link. Give specific attention to 'How ad quality affects you' section.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I've very rarely seen an instance when you can be the only advertiser on a term. Google won't hold every single phrase in their Adwords catalog. If the keyword truly has no competition, then it's likely not a profitable keyword (for Google either). See if your keyword is flagged with low search volume. Also, try bumping up your bid a bit to see if that will it to show. What does the little "speech bubble" icon say by the keyword when you hover over it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi there,
my QS is #3. Overnight i increased bid to a "FIrst Page estimate" of $3.50 and i started to receive impressions. (like you said shanee)

Shanee, there are words on a vertical level i'm targeting. These words for example if you look up on the keywords tool
"ernest hemingway" but big on a "Broad" spectrum you will get hundreds of words related to him for 0 to no competition.

A new question arises is why am i getting charged $2.00+ on these words with a QS of #3 if there is no competition at all?

If i Improved my QS would this in turn fix my CPC lower to $0.30 or what not?

thanks
H

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

If you are really the only advertiser and this rarely happens ( as Shanee said) your ads still need to meet Google's minimum threshold for ad placement as Deepak mentioned.

Being the only advertiser bidding on some keywords doesn't mean that Google will guarantee showing your ad ad let you bid whatever you want. Google has a minimum threshold for each ad placement. Google can't risk it's reputation for showing non relevant ads, Google's main advertising word is "relevance. Google would prefer showing no ads on a page than showing non relevant ads no one clicks on.

You should work more on improving your ad quality score. Higher quality ads can often lead to lower CPCs. That means you pay less per click when your ads are higher quality.

Finally, I recommend reading this article to know how to improve quality score:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
In theory, if your QS improves, then your CPC will go down. CPC is determined by a combination of QS, CPC bid, and Ad Format (extensions). So, if your quality goes up, your CPC can go down. Here is my favorite Google guy talking about how it all works. I find it fascinating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA&feature=youtu.be

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
It is a 'common misconception' among many advertisers that if they have no competitors for a keyword, their minimum cost-per-click (CPC) will automatically be lowered by the AdWords system.

But that is not true. Go through the content on the link below, which has more details.

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2007/10/common-misconception-revisited.html