AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

My Ad doesn't appear when I type in my very specific keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, as a newbie I have added keywords and thought that if I search my own keyword that would see my advert on Google seeing as I know no other ads exist for that keyword. How do I ensure my ad appears?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandeep C
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

@Sandeep C,

I would suggest you to use Google Preview and diagnosis tool in your account. It helps identify why your ad or ad extension might not be appearing. The tool also shows a preview of a Google search result page for a specific term. This helps you see which ads and extensions are appearing for your keyword.

• Use this tool to check the status of your ad for a particular keyword. Once you enter a search term and other criteria like language and location, the tool will tell you whether your ad is eligible to appear in that situation.
  • Use this tool to check if your ad extension is showing with an ad for a particular keyword. If any of your extensions aren't showing, the tool will tell you what might be causing them not to show.
  • If you want to see how your ad appears in search results, it's better to use this tool than to do a search on Google. You'll see the exact same results as a Google search but it won't affect your performance stats by accumulating ad impressions every time you search for your ad.
  • Use the 'Share this search' feature to bookmark specific searches or to send the URL to colleagues or clients so they can view Google search results for this particular search as well. Keep in mind that the search results returned by this tool may change over time. For example, a preview of your ad may no longer appear in the tool when your campaign reaches its daily budget.
  • To use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool, click the tool under the "Tools" menu at the top of your AdWords account, or visit google.com/AdPreview

Regards,

Syed Sayem Mustafa

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep,

If you have recently added the keywords and ads then these may be under review.

So wait until these get approved which you can check by accessing ads tab.

Also, I recommend you to use the ad preview and diagnosis tool to check whether your ads are showing in particular location, language, device and Google domain for that location.

Using live search just to check the ads will impact your account performance.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep,

In addition to what Archit said above, make sure that you have keywords with eligible status. Then only AdWords will show ads for them. In case you believe that AdWords system will show ads for any unique keyword which none of the other advertisers are using but only you, they won't show it for them. Reason being that won't improve the user experience. It is better to bid for the keywords which are searched (with atleast some search count) and are relevant to your business/service.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandeep C
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

@Sandeep C,

I would suggest you to use Google Preview and diagnosis tool in your account. It helps identify why your ad or ad extension might not be appearing. The tool also shows a preview of a Google search result page for a specific term. This helps you see which ads and extensions are appearing for your keyword.

• Use this tool to check the status of your ad for a particular keyword. Once you enter a search term and other criteria like language and location, the tool will tell you whether your ad is eligible to appear in that situation.
  • Use this tool to check if your ad extension is showing with an ad for a particular keyword. If any of your extensions aren't showing, the tool will tell you what might be causing them not to show.
  • If you want to see how your ad appears in search results, it's better to use this tool than to do a search on Google. You'll see the exact same results as a Google search but it won't affect your performance stats by accumulating ad impressions every time you search for your ad.
  • Use the 'Share this search' feature to bookmark specific searches or to send the URL to colleagues or clients so they can view Google search results for this particular search as well. Keep in mind that the search results returned by this tool may change over time. For example, a preview of your ad may no longer appear in the tool when your campaign reaches its daily budget.
  • To use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool, click the tool under the "Tools" menu at the top of your AdWords account, or visit google.com/AdPreview

Regards,

Syed Sayem Mustafa

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I received a call from Google (London) who explained a few points.

1 - trademarked key words (I didn't think the term Progress 8 would be trademarked) hinder your ad in getting to the front page

2 - my website front page has a log in section and is very light on content, whether this is true or not they told me that such websites do not appear high up the search pages.

3 - I learnt how to tinker with the bids, that does improve it a little now that I understand the eligibility status and have reached page 2. Wonder if more searches will push it further up.

4 - They suggested a far better and cheaper ads service via Gmail (GPS) so I shall now explore that!

Sandeep