AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple websites/domains under one Google AdWords Account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client with multiple websites under one business structure - I am his web designer but he is running his Google Ad Campaign with another company who he has been with for years - I have being trying to get him to make the switch but he has been with them for a long time and I think he fears everything will fall apart.

Anyway I spoke to their Adwords company today about making sure his paid keywords only come up for the relevant website - this was their response - "A business cannot run two websites on adwords with the same business name, phone number and address"

I have never come across this problem before - I assumed you could run multiple websites with multiple adgroups for each.

Can someone explain this further?

Thanks Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple websites/domains under one Google AdWords Account?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again @Terry Louras;

Thank you for opening a new thread on the topic;

Indeed, the basic rule (though with some exceptions which do not apply in your case) is: one business - one account.

You could run many campaigns targeting different websites, audiences, or Geo regions  using one account;

However; promoting,  the same or similar products or services, aimed towards the same audiences using multiple accounts, owned by the by the same business entity, is a violation of gaining unfair advantage section of the Policy.

PS: I do not get into the question what is a business entity, since this is more of a technical issue. If the same owner has 2 LLCs selling the same products, - this still would be one business.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can run multiple campaign under one account with multiple website but there is some guideline and technical limitation of Adwords. Best things, use different accounts for multiple website to easy the targeting your objectives.

There is wonderful explanation of your concerns - https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Can-I-advertise-multiple-domains-...

You can also go through good discussion among adwords advertiser - https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Multiple-websites-in-one-adwords-...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Terry Louras
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hmmm... if your websites offer the same or similar products / services then it is always best to keep them under one account. As Moshe points out - having two accounts and running campaigns for both at the same time could lead to what is called double serving where one business can get two ads appearing at the same time for the same search query.

Take this to the extreme and a company could set up 10 different accounts, run campaigns in each for the same keywords, hike their bids, and have all the ad slots taken on a page - all pointing to one of their own websites. It is this that Google is looking to avoid.

Hence even if you have different campaigns within your account for different websites which may well have similar keywords which could all trigger ads, Google will only serve one ad from your account - and that ad will be for the keyword which has the highest ad rank among all those that could have triggered an ad.....

So the other agency is wrong... but let's give them the benefit of the doubt - it is true that you cannot run two accounts if you are going to target the same traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I see multiple incidents of this, and wonder why Google does not clamp down on it. I also wonder if the work-a-round is that a business will our-source to a third party to set up a similar web site, in this case for a private school, and therefore the web site is owned by a different company which is really still doing lead generation for the same school, but the result is they have 3 slots used in the adwords and often 2 of them at the top which means for the Mobile Market, they've got a lock on the page fold ads that appear. The result of course is that competing schools offering the same program will not get nearly the traffic.

N/A
# 6
N/A
Thank you for your answer.
What about 3 different websites, same products & services, 1 adwords account, same location?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Google will only ever serve one ad from a single account - thus even if you have three different websites you will be protected from the danger of double serving.

Now... what will happen is that unless you do something to configure these campaigns, Google gets to decide which ad is served from your account - so let's say you have three websites that all sell widgets, and a visitor searches for "widgets" - then Google will look at the QS of all the relevant keywords in your account and serve the best-suited ad.

But that may not be the best-suited ad in your opinion. For example, if the searcher is in London, you may prefer to send them to your website that has a leaning towards London clients. In theory, that should be the same ad that Google chose, but there are many practical reasons why it might not be. So you should determine which campaign you would want to trigger ads for each keyword, and use your campaign settings to force that.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi @Victor S - you are right - this happens all the time. And Google does try and clamp down on it - but it can be tricky.

The key point is that if your account gets suspended for this kind of practice, then you run the risk of never being able to advertise your site on Google in the future. Sure, you can set up a new site and start all over again, but Adwords is not the only traffic source and the long-term objective of most advertisers is to also have a flow of organic traffic... so splitting up your traffic through different websites makes little sense if it can be avoided.

Agencies should know about this and should warn their clients about the risk of double serving. I flat out reject any proposal where a client wants me to run a separate, parallel campaign for their site.

I can see why they would want to, but it is usually because they don't want the existing manager to know that they are having someone else look at the project. However, once the risks are explained, they generally understand. It can be done. You can run on different scheduling, or in different geo targets, but the risk of inadvertently overlapping and falling foul of the policy is bigger than the benefit.

Imagine you were the owner of the private school you mention. You've been running the website for a couple of years, and you decide to get an agency in to "just see what they can do"... and they get your site suspended. It could well be that your principal source of clients has simply gone - overnight - never to return... that's big.

N/A
# 9
N/A
Thank you for your explanations Steve.