Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody,

I wanted to ask how many ads I should associate with certain numbers of keywords?

For example, I have 7 keywords broad match in my campaign with 5 ads but only 1 keyword is triggering ads, while my ads creative are identical to 5 keywords.

Another question: Can I control which keywords triggering ads? or Google will automatically choose which keywords and ads will work together?

Thanks,

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple keywords

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Mohamad,

5 ads for just 7 keywords is not the best strategy. Due to the same themed Keywords the most relevant ads with the keywords will be triggered and rest will not perform though you can change the ad rotation through setting tab to give equal preference to all your ads. But i suggest you not to change it until you find the 2 best performing ads for your adgroup.

So, you should try with just 2 ads at a time but with A/b/c/d...testing of adcopies.

I hope you got answers to both the questions.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hello, Mohamad hope you are doing great.

If keywords are different by the meaning, I would suggest to create separate ad.group for each target keyword to have separate ad and final URL if needed.
There are different methods of keyword rotation, more detailed feedback you can find this link:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Cheers,
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Also if you want to use split tests as was suggested by Archit, make sure that you statistically significant amount of data otherwise you can come to wrong conclusions.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just to clarify how Google select which keyword and ad to serve... the Quality Score of the keyword combines with ad copy to produce what Google refer to as the ad rank - that basically means that for this particular search query the best combination is this keyword with this ad... that is what Google then take out to the wider auction between your account and your competitors who are bidding for the same search term.

If one keyword is taking all your traffic, the first thing I would suggest would be to separate this one keyword into its own ad group or even campaign. This way you can better control how much it is spending both at a bid level and at a budget level.

This would also allow you to decide which ad you want to serve with this particular keyword for the best combination in terms of conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Archit for your replay, but my problem is my other 6 keywords are not triggering any ads as I'm testing on "Ad Preview and Diagnosis" tool and always with the same comment "One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword", so yesterday I wrote 5 ads copies which are identical to the keywords and still the same result.

So I wanted to know how can I get all of my keywords work to trigger ads.

Many thanks again,

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Mohamad, I don't think there is something to worry about in your ads.
First of all check your Impression share metrics - IS lost due budget and IS lost due rank to identify if you are not getting impressions due rank or budget.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Be specific with your keywords, you might have used almost similar keywords.
For Example:

+ppc +services
+ppc +services +india
+cheap +ppc +services

so if you select these keywords, this issue may arise as all 3 combinations can be triggered by just +ppc +services

Change them as:
+ppc +services
+ppc +india
+cheap +ppc

This is just an example to make you better understand and i hope you got my point.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Mohamed A,

I don't know what these guys are telling you. Any ad within an ad group can be shown with any keyword within the group. The ads within an ad group rotate according to the settings, not according to which ad performs better with which keyword.

What it sounds like to me is you are using broad match keywords all with an equivalent meaning. In that case, the keyword with the best AdRank is selected. All other things aside, AdRank is QS * Max CPC bid. If you bids for all of your keywords are the same, the one with the higher QS will be selected.

I'll give you the same advice I always do when you are starting a new campaign. Start with broad match, run search terms reports often. Identify query candidates for exact and phrase match, both negative and positive keywords. Determine whether you want the added keywords in an existing group or in a new group. Add those keywords and/or AdGroups to your campaign, then watch performance carefully. Increase your bids for keywords that perform well, decrease or add as negative keywords to don't perform as well. And, be patient. Don't make your decisions based on not enough data. What's enough data? Hard question to answer, it depends on the response rate. The higher the response rate, the sooner you can make your decision. I'm talking about hundreds or thousands of impressions.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Also, consider using BMM instead of Broad Match. That may help your other keywords get impressions. But if you want to show a specific ad for a specific keyword, they must be in their own ad group.

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords