AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple adverts in one adgroup

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, I'm a new user here and new to adwords, and just checking out the forums.  I have already read these two posts:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/multiple-ads-in-one-adgroup/td-p/...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/multiple-ads-in-one-adgroup/m-p/1...

and this:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en-GB

With particular reference to the last link, I am not sure I entirely agree with how its been worded, and exactly what 'preference' is being referred to.  Regardless of whether particular keywords are doing better than others, surely you would want to give them equal chance?  Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Anyway....   if you wanted to setup your adwords in such a way that for EACH keyword you use, you have an advert for it, with the title being those EXACT keywords, and in that order (purely from a psychological point of view, if you follow where I'm coming from here), then it looks like what I would have to do, is create an adgroup for EACH SEPARATE KEYWORD.  This would seem rather untidy and disorganised, especially as you could end up with A LOT of adgroups.  I thought you could just have one adgroup with multiple adverts (with each having its own separate keyword), but it doesn't look like you can.

My idea behind this was (and I have researched this a little), that people are perhaps more likely to click on an advert, where the title is EXACTLY the same as the keyword they've typed in?

Sorry for the slightly long post, just trying to explain things.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple adverts in one adgroup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @PC_Tech007 if you want to be absolutely sure an Ad ties to one Keyword only then yes, you need to create an Ad Group for each Keyword.  If you have any sort of leeway in whether they're absolutely 100% linked then you could consider using Keyword Insertion (often referred to by its old name "Dynamic Keyword Insertion" or DKI).  This will put the keyword into the Ad text in place of default text so for example if this were the Ad headline:

This is a {KeyWord:Headline}

and the matching Keyword in the Group was "banana", the Headline could read:

This is a Banana

DKI can be very useful but it has a couple of downsides...  Firstly, DKI is subject to the same limits and rules as "ordinary" Ads so if your text and inserted Keyword come to more than the (in this case) 25 character limit, your Ads will show the default text.  Other reasons are listed here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Secondly, you can sometimes have problems with syntax/grammar depending upon the Keywords.  For example, if the Keyword matched was "orange", the headline would read "This is a Orange", which obviously is poor English and wouldn't make nice Ad creative.

Using a single Ad Group per Keyword may seem laborious but there's not really any other way to structure it.  Bear in mind it's good practice to have more than one Ad variation in every Group - even with a single Keyword - to test out Ad creative for performance so if you had a system where Keywords within a Group could be "tied" to Ads you'd have to allow them to be tied to more than one and some way to edit and report upon those pairings and... you've just re-invented Groups.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Bear in mind it's good practice to have more than one Ad variation in every Group - even with a single Keyword

Yeah, I think I get the idea of this, in other words, your not only testing the keywords themselves, but you're also testing which ads are more popular than others, e.g. Shoes adgroup, with appropriate keywords, but two ads, one for say "10% off" and another for say "£10 off", and testing to see which is more popular.  However, for something as small as that, you could easily create separate adgroups, however on a larger scale, I think I could see it being useful.

so if you had a system where Keywords within a Group could be "tied" to Ads

I thought that's would you could do originally.  It seemed like the most efficient way of doing things?

some way to edit and report upon those pairings and... you've just re-invented Groups.

Unless I'm wrong, this is already available, as if you can have multiple ads within a group, then the stats will already be there surely, otherwise what's the point of doing it?

I hope we're not getting our wires crossed btw lol

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi PC_Tech007,

On the first item, if you want a true comparison between 2 ads, placing them in the same AdGroup with even rotation. Creating 2 AdGroups with the same keywords but different ads won't give you the test results you need to declare a winner.

On the second item, any keyword can trigger any ad within the same AdGroup.

On the last item, you get numbers for the keywords and you get numbers for the ads, but you don't get numbers for the keyword/ad combination.

Hope this is helpful.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

petebardo,

1st sentence, 1st para: yes, I realise now that the multiple ads within a group theory works totally different to the way I thought it did.  I was purely thinking that it was done from an organisational point of view.  I am not going to bother with this now, as I don't see the point for me at the moment.

Creating 2 AdGroups with the same keywords but different ads won't give you the test results you need to declare a winner.

I don't mean to appear rude, but if we aren't getting our wires crossed here then that would never work.  How on earth would the system know which set of keywords/ads to use??

On the last item, you get numbers for the keywords and you get numbers for the ads, but you don't get numbers for the keyword/ad combination.

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue what you mean by this, but I've got a feeling I don't really need to know this anyway, because AFAIK, its irrelevant to me

Thank you for your input though.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
HI PC_Tech007,

Another approach could be to create a campaign experiment. Use the same keywords but different ads and set a percentage for the experiment.

On the last item, if you have only one ad in an AdGroup then you have data for how a particular keyword performs (CTR) with that ad. Google calls that relevance. If you have 2 ads, with even rotation set, you don't really know how each keyword performs with each ad in the group. If you have only one keyword in a group with more than one ad, the CTR of the ad reflects the performance of that keyword with each ad. If you have multiple keywords in a group with multiple ads, you really can't tell which ad performs better for each keyword in the group. That's what I'm calling the keyword/ad combination.

Just some things to consider when setting up your campaign.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @PC_Tech007

"so if you had a system where Keywords within a Group could be "tied" to Ads

I thought that's would you could do originally.  It seemed like the most efficient way of doing things?"

It is the most efficient way to do things - in fact it's the only way Ads can work since the Ads have to reflect the theme of the Keywords - but it's not a one-to-one relationship it's (potentially) a many-to-many.  It's normal for Groups to have more than one Keyword.  For example, if you sold golf shoes you might have several Keywords like:

"golf shoes"

"shoes for golf"

"golf footwear"

and so on.  All the Keywords relate to the same thing (and you'd normally experiment with additional match types) so they're tightly themed.  You then need several Ads because you need to test the performance of the creative text.  You'd be amazed at how much difference even one changed word makes in an Ad, for example, the word "now" in a call to action usually creates many more clicks than the word "today", even when the rest of the text is exactly the same.

So, a typical Ad Group will have several Keywords and several Ads, so how do they link up?  As far as the Keywords go, AdWords has a system of rules for determining which Keyword will match a given search term and normally that'll be the Keyword that most closely matches that search.  So, if I search in Google for 

golf shoes online

the most likely match will be the first Keyword above ("golf shoes") which matches as a Phrase.  It can get complex when more than one Keyword is a possible match and there's details for how that works here, if you're interested:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

How does AdWords chose which Ad to show?  There are several options here.  You can set the Ads to rotate evenly, so if you had 3 Ads over time they'd each be entered into 33% of the eligible auctions.  This setting is useful when testing Ad creatives but if you've got one Ad of the three that performs poorly, it does mean that Ad is showing about 1/3 of the time, so you need to monitor the experiment closely.  There are other settings that chose Ads based upon their likely performance and these are detailed here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Hopefully this clarifies the relationship between Keywords and Ads.  It is possible to create a one-to-one relationship with Keywords and Ads (by having a Group with one Keyword and one Ad) but that's rarely an efficient solution most especially in terms of Ads. As I mentioned earlier, you may well have a Group with only one Keyword but even then you'll want more than one Ad to continue the testing process for your creative.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits