AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple accounts in a large organisation competing for same keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So here's my situation, my wife has an online business selling products and I am running and maintaining the adwords portion for her for about six months now.  And honestly it's doing really good sales-wise, but, being the perfectionist I am, I want to improve and perfect it if possible.  This business has many people also selling online with the same domain, and each individual seller has their own sub-domain. So that's the background to my issue which is keyword competition within the same domain, so other sellers/adwords accounts are using the same keywords, because they are all trying to sell the same products.

My impression share says I'm doing well, in the high 90's, but often when I use the ad preview tool, I get the message "Your ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking ad", often enough that it makes me question the impression share number.  My quality score on the best performing keywords is 10/10 so I can only really manipulate the bid but obviously that is something I'm trying to always reduce.  In the auction insights report, the competition is always other companies with other domains which are really not a threat, and so when it says "you" I'm wondering if it is referring to all of the other sellers from the same domain, or if it does mean just my account regardless of the fact that another seller from the same company so often seems to have ads showing and mine aren't.  

So, basically I want to know, how do I compete with other sellers within the same url and how do I know that the impression share is mine and not just the domains for a given keyword?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Multiple accounts in a large organisation competing for same keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lisa S,

Sounds like you are doing affiliate marketing. It can be tough with multiple marketers targeting the same page or website.

The impression share should be for your account only. The ad preview tool gives you a peek at what is happening at that moment. Ad scheduling by your competition can cause those results to change throughout the day. I'd pay more attention to the impression share data. I'd also look at a day part report to see how your impressions change throughout the day. You could apply bid adjustments according to the time of day, or you may decide not to advertise at certain times of the day.

One thing you might consider is creating your own web site with unique descriptions of the products. That way you are competing only based on keywords. The way it is, your ad will only show when it is the top ranked for the domain. Creating your own web site would allow your ad to show when that competitor outranks you but you outrank the other advertisers eligible for the same keyword. Having unique content on your landing pages could result in a higher page relevance score.

If you are not using extensions, take a look at them and see which can benefit you and add those. Extensions now contribute to the overall QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lisa S,

Sounds like you are doing affiliate marketing. It can be tough with multiple marketers targeting the same page or website.

The impression share should be for your account only. The ad preview tool gives you a peek at what is happening at that moment. Ad scheduling by your competition can cause those results to change throughout the day. I'd pay more attention to the impression share data. I'd also look at a day part report to see how your impressions change throughout the day. You could apply bid adjustments according to the time of day, or you may decide not to advertise at certain times of the day.

One thing you might consider is creating your own web site with unique descriptions of the products. That way you are competing only based on keywords. The way it is, your ad will only show when it is the top ranked for the domain. Creating your own web site would allow your ad to show when that competitor outranks you but you outrank the other advertisers eligible for the same keyword. Having unique content on your landing pages could result in a higher page relevance score.

If you are not using extensions, take a look at them and see which can benefit you and add those. Extensions now contribute to the overall QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your feed back, I just needed another opinion on what was going on. I have done the bid adjustments by time of day and that makes a difference. We have toyed with the web site idea, and will continue to consider that and we are using call out and sitelink extensions. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something when competing within the same url.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm going to post some of my still, on-going concerns here with an example. So, the over the last week, a well performing keyword has really started losing impressions it seems. It's gone from 600-1000 impressions down to less than 100 per day. And I'm always getting the outrank quote whenever I scroll over the speech bubble or check the keyword on the ad preview tool. The quality score of the word is 9/10, CTR is 14.35%, and I've multiplied the bid up to 25x what it was when it was performing well, no dice. Through all of this, the IS has stayed in the high 90's, in fact the last 4 days it says 100%. So I just want to hear what the thoughts are on that situation, thanks.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

P.S. Oh, and I had to look up affiliate marketing to see what it was, that's not what this is , we are in network marketing, different situation I believe.